AlphaGo Teach

DeepMind has released a tool called “AlphaGo Teach”, designed to help analyze common professional openings.

Funnily the tool doesn’t seem to work well on Chrome, I had to switch to Internet Explorer.

An introduction by Haylee:

9 Likes

Works well in Firefox. Thanks for sharing – and the video, too! :slight_smile:

FWIW, it works for me with Chrome on macOS.

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I was surprised at the extensive use of the 3-3 invasion. I know that AG revitalized this in the “Master” games, but the use here seems far more extensive. To me it feels like it makes corner play more boring: cut and dried. I now know how enthusiasts for steam locomotives must feel. I wonder whether dan-level players feel this way.

2 Likes

One could argue that before Alphago, the usual approach to the 4-4 point was just as systematic and boring.

AlphaGo’s variations around the 3-3 invasion are very subtle. The defender has to choose between a sente and a gote sequence, depending on the global board position. The external wall can easily turn into a stick under attack, something pros have learnt from AlphaGo.

The 3-3 invasion as we knew it was played out as one straight sequence. With AlphaGo it becomes a multi-stage sequence, where sente, thickness and yose come into play.

From what I understand, the analysis was provided by Master.

10 Likes

Thank you for your insightful response. This is just the sort of higher-level perspective I was hoping to elicit.

1 Like

Haylee’s lecture is interesting. The tool seems to work well on Firefox.

A new Youtube channel that builds on Alphago Teach to present AlphaGo’s assessment of classic josekis:

I don’t know the author (Dave?), but this sounds like solid commentary.

1 Like

Dwyrin has expressed that opinion.

1 Like

I wanted to expand on my initial reply, now that more materials has become available and I have found time to study it. Far from boring, the hoshi 3-3 invasion might be one of the most complex joseki (even beating the infamous taisha?). It’s just mindblowing that all those paths had not been identified as joseki until this past year.

gif%20(1)

Some useful links:

3 Likes