Am I living in the future?

7 Likes

Now we can relive future events, in case we might not be there.

They will not ask you for a raise

1 Like

Not even if the cost of skin care or electricity goes up?!

As of today that’s much less expensive. Take the automatic distribution in bars of drinks it costs a lot to buy but still much cheaper as a waitress. (Good analogy if you consider the rampage of your home nurse in your fridge)

Techno trainers that bork when the app is not updated… I do really feel like I’m living in the future!

3 Likes

It’s amazing how technological progress makes me forget. I truly can’t remember how we checked on our shoes’ battery status before we had smartphones. Can anyone remind me???

3 Likes

You’re not living in the future until we have flying cars and broadcast power.

1 Like

My phone and toothbrush charge wirelessly, does that count?

I have chosen cable as it’s still much faster (0 to 100 in like 30mns meaning I can full charge when I forgot in a few mns before leaving, very convenient)

1 Like

No, that’s not what broadcast power means. I once got a static electric shock by walking under an HT powerline, and people living near HT powerlines have, for many years, been stealing electricity the same way.

Broadcast power would be if someone could charge their electric car wirelessly from a power station, say, 1,000 miles away. It’s the idea that Tesla pursued obsessively for the last half of his life. John W. Campbell, Jr. (writing as Don A. Stuart; also the author of the story on which The Thing was based) wrote an early story about the idea, “Atomic Power” (Astounding Stories, December 1934). Here is the cover of the issue, scanned from my collection.

1 Like