An idea for a "physical interface for OGS" - Feedback required

I quite like this thread. After a days work I am typically not driven to sit 40min to an hr at at time at a computer desk with a mouse. I would definitely be interested in an alternative method of interface.

I would definitely be interested in helping with a physical interface, I think depending on levels of interest or support a design could be put together that could be replicated by members with some DIY skills and a couple hundred USD?

Very interested in the voice control as well. I was actually just thinking about this the other day. Interest levels in a physical interface is likely to be fairly low, but a voice interface may actually get some use and could potentially even be incorporated into the main site?

Unfortunately I would be a much bigger help on the physical project then a digital oneā€¦ my code gets very ugly very quicklyā€¦ I suppose the most reasonable starting point would be a browser plug in that uses google to translate to text, then submits your move. Seems reasonable, would be nice to sit back and play by voice if it worked with out too much burden.

In fact, yes.

Here's an old prototype

:smiley:

4 Likes

Call smurph, have him play your move for you. got it.
Stand by.

2 Likes

Slightly different but if strapped for cash you can use a likebook mars kindle type device from amazon.com and 4mm half dome pearl beads. Then use the ogs ā€œonlinegoā€ android app. $220
The advantage is you can read smartgo books with gitden reader as well, solving problems and even replaying professional go games with gridmaster. Very versatile device, large and e ink so easy on the eyes

ezgif-2-7ab40461938c%20(1)%20(1)
This is the beginnings of something like youā€™re describing which Iā€™m working on. Itā€™s basically a grid of programmable leds on a 3D printed board and Iā€™m working on getting it connected to the OGS api.

12 Likes

I think itā€™s a great idea, both for playing against real remote opponents and against AI (this exists already).
I donā€™t know if itā€™s commercially viable (Iā€™m such a newbie and donā€™t really know the community) but for geeks like us (no offense :wink:) I think itā€™s great.
Especially if, like me, you are from a country where GO is completely unknown.

For the technical partā€¦ I forgot most of my electronic courses, but Iā€™m pretty sure there are ways to control all 361 leds+sensors with the ~25gpio pins in a Rpi. Nonetheless, wiring all 361leds & sensors is gonna be a pain.
Also, it would be nice if the sensors were not colorblind in order to avoid mistakes, to deal with initial handicaps, forbidden/suicidal movesā€¦ etc (there might be workarounds, like switching on the led while reading->white should reflect more light than black)
Adding the small camera module for de Rpi could be an option. Itā€™s ā€œcheapā€ and easy to add and I sincerely I offer myself to help with the Image recognition part. I have some experience in the topic and, worst case scenario, there are online-solutions for that)

In my opinion voice-control is not the most interesting direction for me, but it might be useful for people with physical impairments (sorry Iā€™m not sure how to say it in English). Not so much for visually impaired people, which I would be more interested in (for close relatives and friends).

Anyway I would love to know about your improvements and where your project is going. Do you have a blog or something to check it out? If/when I start a similar project Iā€™ll let you know! :wink:

Interesting approach. I stopped my original idea as I came across a much simpler solution (which yet has to be implemented though): control-by-speech.
It should be rather simple to control the entire game by just telling a voice-recognition-device like Amazon Echo which move you made (by coordinates) and get the opponents move in returned via voice.
By that there would be no need to build the physical device but you could just use the board you have at home.

Is there an option for amazon echo and like devices to be in a command loop-type state? By that I mean that you can ask it to stay listening for new commands without having to say something ā€˜Hey Alexa/Computerā€™ etc to send every move.

I guess I would need to add co-ordinates to my real board, and then make sure that my co-ordinates are always sent the way I expect (like I donā€™t have them reversed to the way they get sent to OGS).

I have no idea about amazon echo or similars. But nowadays you can use googleā€™s speech-to-text and text-to-speech APIs. Interacting with OGS via voice commands seems totally reasonably feasible to meā€¦
I still think the original idea has some other potential. For instance, I just thought it could be used to translate real games to SGF so you can keep record of your gaming history :joy:
ā€¦I feel that a Christmas project is brewing hereā€¦

1 Like

There are a number of different kifu recording apps (GitHub - mkghub/ToKraGo: Automatic Go/Baduk/Weiqi recorder) floating around. Which is a slightly different angle to approach the same thing.

I could imagine setting up a tripod, with webcam/phone pointed at the goban (no need for special equipment!). Having audio feedback from the app, reading out the coordinates of your move when registered, and speaking coordinates of your opponent (having both spoken aloud will help with the mental gymnastics of orienting yourself with the coordinates, if you donā€™t have anything marked out). Also through audio it could tell you to place stones that have moved and altered the game state (or any other errors that may occur).

Looks like this is the closest I can find of something like this existing Implement TTS for live game move notification Ā· Issue #17 Ā· CmdrDats/igoki Ā· GitHub

I could also imagine something like this augmenting a go salon. If there are an uneven number of competitors there, you could pull up a board and log into OGS.

1 Like

Could this be somehow related?

Izzit Michaela is In sente 's other youtube channel

1 Like