Anyone ever made DIY Go stones?

After a bit of practice, sanding yields very good results!

3 Likes

They sell a mold on AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004427632078.html

5 Likes

I am also experimenting with a version having two different halves to simplify stone removal after molding. First results seems promising, again the excess clay should be easily sanded off.

3 Likes

Do you not use saran wrap for easier removal? You should try if it works with your mold

Yes I can try. I am trying to optimize timing so i have to consider the time to put wrap paper.

Also it might not work well with the protruding edge (it might get stuck).

But yes, it is something to try :slight_smile:

Ok non-stick film works great! Thanks.

I updated the designs on Thingiverse.

Now I’ll be off for a while, making some stones :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve made your design, works great:

For sanding, I made another tool from another piece of a ping pong ball that I glued sandpaper to and attaches to a drill:

If I use it for a bit more, the stones get polished so smooth that I can see my reflection on them.

Also, here’s another design for a stone making tool, by gluing the molds to some pliers:
out3

9 Likes

Meanwhile, I also made a slightly bigger version, for black stones:

7 Likes

Now, regarding painting. I am using brush and paint, but I think I might switch to spray painting as it is faster and more uniform. Any advice? Also in terms of texture, are real stone slippery, or more satinated?

1 Like

First game today! BTW, of course the goban is DYI too.

In the end, I used satinated transparent paint on black stones and I like it.

10 Likes

Hi all! I made a sanding helper tool for manual sanding. As usual, i published the model on thingiverse

6 Likes

I am wondering: which is the right size for go stones? One site states 21.9mm for white and 22.2 for black: How to choose Go stones – kurokigoishiten .

Wikipedia states 22.5mm

Moreover, vertical line spacing is set at 23.7mm: Go equipment - Wikipedia

Doesn’t this risk leaving “spaces” between stones?

1 Like

There are different by countries too.
Korean stones are smaller as Japanese, and Japanese smaller as Chinese.

Well if you buy a korean board with chinese stones, you’ll have an even bigger problem that stones will be far too big to fit.

4 Likes

Thanks! Is there any complete size guide anywhere?

Not for what i know

And today I’ll try… tumbling!

VID-20240414-WA0004_1

6 Likes

Hi all! I made a new mold, also based on @UrbanSpirit and @Tesujitarian design.

This design produces edges that should be easier to sand / tumble.

As usual, design uploaded on Thingiverse. This time I used OpenSCAD to make it easier to produce mold variations.

5 Likes

New design (also uploaded on Thingiverse): I increased a bit the stone size as after tumbling it was a little too small, and made it more elegant:

4 Likes

Hi, another update!

This time a 6-stones mold, arranged in a… stone shape!

Moreover, the different mold height creates a natural interlocking between top and bottom mold, without the need for extra interlocking points:

As usual, design on Thingiverse (together with a smaller, 4-stones model).

7 Likes

Sooo… how may stones do you have by now? Surely you got a full set only by testing :smiley: