Auto-dropout/kick/eject for Site Ladders?

Well there’s nothing saying you couldn’t challenge a person you lost against again - I think there’s a short waiting period but it’s possible. I’ve had people challenge me to a rematch.

I understand the idea though, it’s nicer to challenger a new person than to challenge someone again that you don’t have a good win record against. I would probably like to challenge someone new as well

1 Like

You’re telling me it’s possible to not play any games in a while and have a non-zero number of games? How do you not play any games and not have no games???

1 Like

The subject of this topic as Shinuito put it is " an idea to just auto-kick people from ladders if they haven’t played a ladder game in a while."

You claimed that “This current thread is specifically proposing the idea of kicking people with 0 games.”

Haven’t played for a while is really something different than people with 0 games.

Again, please explain how you can not play for a while and have anything other than 0 games???

Atorrante, I think you’ve forgotten why @BHydden is pressing the point that inactivity = 0 games.

You implied that there was a loophole/reprieve from getting sent to the bottom. (Auto-dropout/kick/eject for Site Ladders?) This loophole is impossible to take advantage of if you get kicked for inactivity.

1 Like

I don’t really know how to go about this, but I think it would be nice to see how good an indicator it is that inactive players timeout. If it was like 90% correlation, then I would be okay with @shinuito’s proposal.

Otherwise it’s just punishing people for an inconvenience they didn’t actually perpetrate.

It goes without saying- this data would need to be acquired a good while after timeouts lead to a firm kick.

If you haven’t played for a while means that there was a period that you did play games.

I’m not talking about 0 total games I’m talking about 0 active games, which is the entire premise of the thread, and the counterpoint to your proposal of “just rejoining the ladder and having your active games still count” since you have no active games.

that wasn’t clear to me, sorry for this misunderstanding.

In the middle of the ladder it’s about 90% for me at the moment, but I’m only a very small subset of data.

I imagine people that don’t have any games ongoing (not just ladder games) are less likely to check the site and hence more likely to timeout - unless they play live games a lot.

If they have ongoing correspondence games that doesn’t apply either.

I guess I don’t believe that the majority of the people that are inactive in the ladder are simply waiting to be challenged even if some are. I would expect that they just forget they’re still part of the ladder and either they’re also not playing correspondence or they’re not even active on the site in a few weeks+

1 Like

Perhaps.
The timeout rule addresses this issue. You have to wait three days though.
How would you set a trigger in order to have those people removed from the ladder?

1 Like

I don’t really know to be honest, I don’t know how the ladder works either. I’ll give a potential idea though:

It’s probably not feasible to have some kind of timer for each player in the ladder (at least it doesn’t sound efficient).

So instead maybe the ladder stores a list of the players and places in it (it probably does already somehow, I don’t know if it’s .csv or whichever) but you add an extra field, probably not visible to the players, that stores the end date of their last played ladder game. Then say something like once a day it could look through this list of end dates, and since there’s already supposed to be code to eject people from the ladder on timeouts, just trigger that code for users for which
(game ended>x months ago) and (0 games ongoing)
since the ladder already has information about the number of ongoing ladder games for each player (it can block the issuing/receipt of new challenges).

I’m sure the hardest part though is to convince people it’s a good idea to eject people from the ladder :stuck_out_tongue:

As a comparison the DGS (dragon go server - correspondence go) 19x19 ladder says

• The user will be withdrawn from the ladder, if player hasn’t accessed the server
    within the last 30 days (excluding vacation).

That’s maybe another alternative idea and doesn’t punish inactive ladder players who are still active on the site?
I might add that to the OP as an edit if I can.

The timeout rule is easy to apply because it’s triggered by the end of a game: when a game is decided there are some things to do, such as tweak ratings and swap places, so it’s a good place to put a line of code that says: if it’s timeout then kick.

Your proposal needs some sort of automatic daemon that every day crawls through the ladder looking for victims. It could be more difficult to do.

Also it needs a rule that I think it’s hard to define. DGS rule could be an example: overall site inactivity. But is it a good rule, I don’t know.

I was wondering if it could be possible to ask users. Something like: "Dear user, we noticed that you aren’t playing any games on the site ladder since last (say) 30 days. Are you still interested in participating? If so, please click the following link to stay on the ladder. If you don’t, you’ll be removed from the ladder. You’ll be able to subscribe again whenever you want. "

I would be nicer but even harder to implement.

2 Likes

Good day folks.

I have just today finished a 9X9 ladder challenge and have 1 ongoing challenge.

When I check my position and who I can challenge in the ladder I get the option to Join the ladder!

How can I be currently playing games in a ladder I’m not in?

I guess I have been kicked even though I’ve been playing daily and the games continue anyway!?

Should I maybe call a moderator on my last current ladder game?

Not sure if any auto-eject would apply to active players?

1 Like

You did time out of a recent ladder game though no? That auto-ejects you from the ladder. However there was some sort of reprieve rule that if you had ongoing games and completed one or won I believe then you would re-enter the ladder.

Maybe someone else can confirm how that works properly.

You’ve commented on that thread as well I see Ladder timeout reprieve unfair - #39 by NeilZeBub

I think same. Besides dropping out a ladder doesn’t stop the games you are playing in.

Thanks for coming back.Just checked and yes I did timeout of a game (sorry mathwww).

Nuts. That sucks, my fault obviously. SO…disregard the previous and thanks for thinking to check.

1st Timeout since April. Gutted.

1 Like

That’s interesting, sounds like it could have strange effects on players still in the ladder.

1 Like

You will need to rejoin the ladder if you want to keep playing in it. Then if you win an ongoing game you will jump up to that position as normal. If you don’t rejoin and finish the ongoing games while not in the ladder then they are just normal ranked games but will but affect any ladder positions.

1 Like

Well normally not, ex ladder games become normal games. You still have to finish them and then if you win… will be reintegrated in the ladder (unless your opponent did drop out too, but this may need confirmation ?)
If it happens that by winning one of these games you come back in the ladder you can then use the button to drop out if that was your intention.