Beginner looking for feedback on 9x9 games

Its well-known fact that mark is actually 6-feet tall pile of joseki books wrapped in a trenchcoat and disguised as californian male xDD

1 Like

I mentioned ChatGPT because mark5000ā€™s post was polite, neutral, a bit too general, moderately useful and seemed not to react to the game records despite saying ā€œbased on these game recordsā€. So I would be surprised if Mark didnā€™t use ChatGPT or didnā€™t copy its style on purpose. I may be wrong of course.

On more topic: i actually think that ā€œit just feels like a good moveā€ is very often valid reasoning for a move.
Humans have pretty good intuition, whenever you feel like you should add a stone to specific area or into some shape you already have on the board, its probably a good idea to do exactly that. Unless, of course, you have even better reason to play somewhere else xD

As a general way i restrain myself to comment on the help someone provide even if i donā€™t really agree. I could still add or propose some different view.
Anyway i donā€™t want to go off topic too, so letā€™s not start a debate on this.

I apologize if my comment was perceived as inappropriate. I still think that other suggestions are too fancy and that foundations are lacking: practice of simple life and death problems. Get an idea how to live or kill.

1 Like

Based on your games, Iā€˜m proposing the following three steps:

1. Fully understand the concept of real eyes and false eyes

With ā€žfullyā€œ I mean understanding it to a level where it feels trivial and where you would be able to explain the concept to another person.

1. Understand the concept of having two eyes (and being alive) or not having two eyes (and being dead).

Watch this for example: Basic Go Shapes of Life and Death - YouTube

After the first two steps, you can apply that knowledge in your games as the third step as follows:

1. At every point in the game make yourself aware of the life and death situation of every stone/group on the board:
    Can a stone/group make life already easily (e.g. by connecting to other stones)? If yes, the stone/group is strong.
    Does a stone/group struggle to make life? If yes, it is weak.
    Will a stone/group die for sure? If yes, it is dead and you should kind of remove it from the board in your mind.
    And now follow the following rules in priority order:
    a) If you have a weak stone/group: Defend it!
    b) If your opponent has a weak stone/group: Attack it / put it under pressure / make it hard for it to live!
    c) if neither side has a weak stone/group: Play a ā€žbigā€œ move! (i.e. a move that claims a large area on the board)

Good luck!

2 Likes