"Best Way To Study" Experiment - [SIGNUPS CLOSED]

Hey Smurph, how many more are we looking at to recruit? I’m just curious… btw memorizing is hard ugh

According to the OP I think smurph is looking for another 12 participants.

Oh, about 12 more (keeping track of the count in 1st post). Yes, everything you need to do to improve quickly requires a lot of mental effort.

I was pleased to find that memorizing a pro game wasn’t nearly as hard as I’d thought it would be. I picked Lee Sedol’s fourth game vs. AlphaGo from their original series in 2016. I was able to commit the first 60 moves to memory with only about an hour or so investment. I then wasn’t able to touch it for two days, and just now made only two mistakes replaying them from scratch, which I’m pretty proud of given my (at least self-perceived) poor memory. I’ll keep going to at least the one hundredth move as you’ve prescribed, I just wanted to share my progress.

Come on, man! :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

sleepy

6 Likes

Well done! Yes, it isn’t easy, but it’s also not as hard as it seems before you’ve even tried it. Thanks for the feedback, I’m sure it will encourage others who haven’t yet given it a shot.

4 Likes

for those looking to find games to memorize, http://ps.waltheri.net is a pretty great resource :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How do we know if we are part of the experience team ?
I really would like to try a methode with other people even if i’m a new sdk.

May i follow the experience as well ? even if you don’t take my result into account ?

I’m willing to participate. 12e Lettre is my ogs name, rank around 20k (+2.2) right now and can probably study 2 hours a day for the summer for sure. I can give you my age as well in private.

2 Likes

Thanks smurph, and StephenC20XX.

1 Like

I gave it a try too and the memorizing of game really isn’t far as hard as it looks. About an hour of effort and I can replay 50 moves. It’s funny :slight_smile:

2 Likes

opuss
1197 ± 93
19.3k ± 2.3
1hr per day for a month
I don’t mind providing my age

2 Likes

I have sent out group (“Go Research”) invitations to everyone eligible - so please join the group. If you have declined the invitation by accident, please let me know (you cannot apply for an invite otherwise). I will be doing a few small “soundchecks” to make sure everything works as smoothly as possible. Please check for group announcements every now and then. If you have any questions, you can chat with me; if there’s a lot of things you’d like to tell me, you can PM me here.

Estimated start date: sometime this weekend :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nickname: Kla0mix
Rating: ~20k - 15k (15 was my highest, i havent rly played much yet so idk if 15k was just luck) 1114±98
Hours: 1+ playing, also I try reading books about Go
I would be ok with providing my Age

2 Likes

Username: Oshō
Hours: 2-3 hours

2 Likes

Pick me!
Rank around weak 10k right now
Hours 2-3h (maybe more if I’m happy on the day)

2 Likes

well im willing to try your methode to improve
ogs nick; TBX
19k-20k i play correspondence alot
1 hour /day , maybe more
yes i can tell you my age

2 Likes

yea , im in

I’m in.

Nick OGS: Kamelotusky
rating: 1541 ± 84
ranking: 11.4k ± 1.7
hours: at least 1hr per day. weekends like 5hr…
age and gender: Of course. It’s open to whom see my profile

2 Likes

Would like to participate.

OGS nick: TangSu
ranking: 20k
hours: minimum 1 hour a day

2 Likes

Hi, I am an absolute beginner here, would like to participate.

Nick: Ariel177
ranking: just registered never played… 20k?
hours: 1 hour a day

2 Likes