Blitz games not counted properly

also remove 10s from blitz in custom game creation, this option already also exists in live category

1 Like

Do we know what’s the blitz setting on other servers ? It could make sense to be consistent if we have no specific argument otherwise.

1 Like

I’d welcome that information

I don’t really understand the poll sorry.
I think a 10s /move is blitz and there is no option to vote for. The OP was requesting a blitz 10s to be counted as blitz, not as live. So the idea was more to enlarge as to reduce what games are considered blitz.

1 Like

Once upon a time in a poll long long ago 10s was voted as the cutoff, and changing that has a lot of implications that are unpleasant - so that’s why it’s not listed. The solution is to make the things we called blitz games actually blitz games I reckon.

3 Likes

Then what about 15 as the limit? Or 11 being live and 10 blitz ?

1 Like

I think 9s per move is fine, and so is 10s.

Besides the threshold for blitz, I feel that the computation of average move time might be improved a bit. In practice, 9s byoyomi is less average move time than a 9s increment. And for basic time, I feel that the board size should also be taken into account to compute the average move time.

A month ago, I made some proposal to account for different time systems and board sizes: 1s per move ranked games - #69 by gennan

Applying those formulas to 19x19 with Byoyomi, 5m + 1x10s = 10s per move, while 4m + 1x10s = 9.5s per move.

Applying those formulas to 19x19 with Fischer, 4m + 9s = 10s per move, while 3m + 9s = 9.5s per move.

4 Likes

In my opinion, it is not entirely correct to consider increments and byo yomi in the same way.
Playing with 5 seconds of increment per move is much easier than playing with 5 seconds of byo yomi, I would consider blitz only the latter.
I would put the limits like this:
between 3 and 4 seconds for fischer, and probably also as an average for Canadian time
between 6 and 7 seconds for byo yomi/simple
Absolute time is a bit more difficult to evaluate. I think 5 seconds per move (considering the average of moves played on a completed game on that board size) would fit.

2 Likes

anything less than 9s as default will lead to mass timeouts and less correct rank
Those who wish can create something faster in custom

3 Likes

In my opinion if players are not happy with the categorization it’s because it’s a bit strange to chose time setting just at the boundary between them (for Tournaments or automatch. )

Why not chosing a more “in between” value like 20s or 30s for live, and 7s for blitz to well differentiate each kind of games?

4 Likes

I’d be completely ok with limiting automatch to a few defined time settings (as it is done on Fox for example), and keeping custom games for those who wish to deviate from it.

2 Likes

Giving this poll a bump in case anyone else had opinions or wanted to vote.

I can link it in some of the chats on the main site.

Re: blitz on other servers, I think it’s something like

KGS - 1min+3x10s byo-yomi
IGS/pandanet - 1min+5mins/25 stones Canadian byo-yomi ~ 12s byo-yomi I guess?
Fox - I don’t know, I think I’ve seen 15s per move, maybe with some main time.
Tygem - 5min +3x30s seems to be the fastest automatch I can see.
WBaduk - I think it’s just negotiating after you get paired (I believe fox has a similar automatch, but a fast match is more like OGS’s automatch, going straight into a game.)

If anyone has any corrections please share them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bump

1 Like