Blitz games not counted properly

also remove 10s from blitz in custom game creation, this option already also exists in live category

1 Like

Do we know whatā€™s the blitz setting on other servers ? It could make sense to be consistent if we have no specific argument otherwise.

1 Like

Iā€™d welcome that information

I donā€™t really understand the poll sorry.
I think a 10s /move is blitz and there is no option to vote for. The OP was requesting a blitz 10s to be counted as blitz, not as live. So the idea was more to enlarge as to reduce what games are considered blitz.

3 Likes

Once upon a time in a poll long long ago 10s was voted as the cutoff, and changing that has a lot of implications that are unpleasant - so thatā€™s why itā€™s not listed. The solution is to make the things we called blitz games actually blitz games I reckon.

3 Likes

Then what about 15 as the limit? Or 11 being live and 10 blitz ?

1 Like

I think 9s per move is fine, and so is 10s.

Besides the threshold for blitz, I feel that the computation of average move time might be improved a bit. In practice, 9s byoyomi is less average move time than a 9s increment. And for basic time, I feel that the board size should also be taken into account to compute the average move time.

A month ago, I made some proposal to account for different time systems and board sizes: 1s per move ranked games - #69 by gennan

Applying those formulas to 19x19 with Byoyomi, 5m + 1x10s = 10s per move, while 4m + 1x10s = 9.5s per move.

Applying those formulas to 19x19 with Fischer, 4m + 9s = 10s per move, while 3m + 9s = 9.5s per move.

4 Likes

In my opinion, it is not entirely correct to consider increments and byo yomi in the same way.
Playing with 5 seconds of increment per move is much easier than playing with 5 seconds of byo yomi, I would consider blitz only the latter.
I would put the limits like this:
between 3 and 4 seconds for fischer, and probably also as an average for Canadian time
between 6 and 7 seconds for byo yomi/simple
Absolute time is a bit more difficult to evaluate. I think 5 seconds per move (considering the average of moves played on a completed game on that board size) would fit.

2 Likes

anything less than 9s as default will lead to mass timeouts and less correct rank
Those who wish can create something faster in custom

4 Likes

In my opinion if players are not happy with the categorization itā€™s because itā€™s a bit strange to chose time setting just at the boundary between them (for Tournaments or automatch. )

Why not chosing a more ā€œin betweenā€ value like 20s or 30s for live, and 7s for blitz to well differentiate each kind of games?

4 Likes

Iā€™d be completely ok with limiting automatch to a few defined time settings (as it is done on Fox for example), and keeping custom games for those who wish to deviate from it.

2 Likes

Giving this poll a bump in case anyone else had opinions or wanted to vote.

I can link it in some of the chats on the main site.

Re: blitz on other servers, I think itā€™s something like

KGS - 1min+3x10s byo-yomi
IGS/pandanet - 1min+5mins/25 stones Canadian byo-yomi ~ 12s byo-yomi I guess?
Fox - I donā€™t know, I think Iā€™ve seen 15s per move, maybe with some main time.
Tygem - 5min +3x30s seems to be the fastest automatch I can see.
WBaduk - I think itā€™s just negotiating after you get paired (I believe fox has a similar automatch, but a fast match is more like OGSā€™s automatch, going straight into a game.)

If anyone has any corrections please share them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bump

1 Like

Well, Iā€™ve voted in the poll, but at this point I guess itā€™s likely that people are not going to vote on it and itā€™s never going to be acted upon unless a new thread is created. Or maybe just me saying this will help, who knows.

Anyway, I actually have a question about this.

As far as I know, all the possible ways of creating a game, ranked or not, on OGS, require users explicitly choosing ā€œblitzā€, ā€œliveā€ or ā€œcorrespondenceā€.

So if you want a criterion to decide which games are which, why not just use the choice the users make, instead of deciding it retroactively based on time?

At the very least, itā€™s certainly absurd that (some of?) the blitz games created by the automatch system are instead counted as live by the ranking system.

I feel this would also solve the philosophical conundrum of ā€œwhere do blitz games end, and live games startā€, and same for correspondence. Let there be overlap :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I wonā€™t say I understand the details but it sounds like 10s is staying as the cutoff, and the poll was to change the automatch and tournaments which say theyā€™ll create blitz games but donā€™t get categorised that way.

So that would address this I think.

But as for this I donā€™t know. I havenā€™t checked the thresholds for each option in the time picker in custom settings for instance. I think it was being updated anyway since the last time it was discussed, but I guess

in the sense of choosing options but not the categorisation?

Yes, it was already my understanding that the poll was about changing the maximum time per move in blitz games to less than 10 seconds, to avoid overlap with live games.

And I donā€™t really have hopes that what Iā€™m proposing might be done, I just meant to ask whether it was considered before, since it sounds like a pretty straight-forward thing to think of and do.

Now I did check some of the time settings in custom challenges just to make sure, and I can confirm there is overlap between the live options and the blitz options.

I didnā€™t find overlap between live and correspondence, though I might have missed it.

ā€ƒSo, just to be clear, I was proposing that the simplest solution would be if, for the purposes of calculating the partial ranks, games were partitioned based on the option that the user chose when creating the game, even if that causes some games with the same time setting to fall in different categories.
ā€ƒEither that, or amend the custom options to avoid the overlap, but the ā€œusing the option chosen when creating the game to categorize the game resultā€ idea just feels obvious to me.

I mean, if we were discussing more complex solutions, what I really think is that dividing short games in only 2 subsets is too little. I think a partition like the one they have in chess (Classical, Rapid, Blitz, Bullet, Hyper-Bullet?) makes more sense.

The difference between the lower and higher end of Live games is just enormous.

1 Like

The categories are just a convenience, to make it easier for people to find the kind of game they want. Time specs and categories, as well as board sizes, do not have any effect on a personā€™s overall rank.

1 Like