Blitz style of play

well yes, as long as you play faster than your opponent you can always win by just not passing… I never accept absolute just for that reason tbh :smiley:

2 Likes

Frankly, this sounds rather unlikely. It is normal to try to gain time in blitz - with analog clocks one can sometimes win by passing when ahead. However, if anyone were to clearly cheat online, the solution is really simple, particularly on OGS: block them from playing any further games with you. Problem solved.

1 Like

You have faith in human race and that is good!
:smiley: I am not saying not to do it, just providing all the info. And if you see anyone doing it, report him as well :smiley:

1 Like

Cheats are no good to play with. Just block them so they don’t bother you anymore.

1 Like

I don’t play blitz, and I’m not about to. But I do wonder - if I was playing with absolute time controls, and was behind on the board but ahead on time, what is the proper / polite thing to do ?

Should one give up because they are too much behind, even though their opponent is about to lose on time ?

Or, did the opponent mismanage their time, taking too much time to play compared to the agreed time controls, so that it would actually be fair for them to lose on time ?

I feel weird about either approaches which is why I would be scared to approach absolute time controls…

1 Like

I play absolute time controls in chess, but in chess there’s a definitive end to the game. If my opponent is in a winning position, but low on time, I won’t hesitate to go for a time win.

Go’s different, though. You could make hundreds of non-moves in a lost position to try to win on time, but that seems like it’d be impolite. Not sure where the cutoff is, though. If you’ve got a minute, and just blundered a huge group, but your opponent is down to 10 seconds, should you resign because the board is lost, or should your opponent resign because the clock is lost? I’d probably want some sort of increment to stop that sort of issue from happening, if I played blitz Go.

yup, thats blitz for you :D.

2 Likes

To be fair, that game was initially decided in favor of Carlsen.

…but yes. Shenanigans.

2 Likes

It makes me sad that two GM’s can play a blitz game that’s still stronger than any correspondence game I’ve ever played.

2 Likes