Book Club. Tesuji by James Davies, Chapters 1 and 2

Eye stealing

Screenshot_2023-11-09-18-21-06-07

Sure. Eye stealing is to have that shape which will lead white in some shortage of liberties, need to connect etc… Not just stealing an eye.

Considering the left, it’s a double eye stealing so even more powerful (“play in front of 3”)

No surprise at this “could be missed” shape: for a beginner it’s more difficult to see the consequences of these two stones as two stones pincering on the same line(both negate an eye)
See:
Screenshot_2023-11-09-18-46-17-68

3 Likes

One stone at most in the center. 2 cutting white stones are far from being captured.

It’s bit of complicated position. If black cut to block white access to center then he gets a sente move on white group life helping his right corner. But cutting is heavy. So maybe black will just connect, lettting white access to the center.
On the left black is quite thin too.
IMHO black seems to be a bit in a defavorable position.
Still one could call black 2 a tesuji too. Not obvious and strongest resistance in itself. It may be postponed, leaving a nasty aji.

That’s the essence of a knight move. You put more pressure as a jump (ikken tobi), or more quickness as a diagonal move but you can be broken. That doesn’t matter too much if it’s a valid attacking move, meaning that if the opponent resists, he will be short of liberties.

1 Like

This would be for all your moves. In fact even if you better read and check, as usual, i don’t think this is in the real nature of a tesuji.
Why?
Because we are more with unnatural moves. Or we won’t have to study them. And then studies will make them hopefully more natural. Moves that we will consider at a glance.
I’m of course not advising against reading.:blush:

1 Like

Isn’t there a proverb (about eye-stealing / false eyes) that is something like one of the following?

• Three corners are needed for an eye
  • Two corners make an eye false
1 Like

More as a proverb, an explaination for beginners or programers (should include the concept of a protected corner like by another eye, and for fun doubleheaded dragon)

1 Like

Isn’t there also a Go proverb about how there always exists an exception to every Go proverb?

2 Likes

This book is a gem for people still a bit weak on fights
Tesuji is offering a nice collection of problems for their level. (Don’t waste them by a quick reading)

Not only that.

Tesuji is offering to get rid of wrong habits and ideas replacing them with brilliant moves and new inspiration.

For further studies, i know 3 dedicated collections each harder as the other (like fujisawa Shuko tesuji dictionary or the segoe one). To get that natural move feeling is really not that easy afterall.

4 Likes

Isn’t that plagiarism? And not in the spirit of the OP:

Definitely not plagiarism, there’s an attribution in the title of the puzzle collection.

In the cross-cut tesuji, I’m trying to understand why M2 is considered bad here:

The book says you might prefer to play M2 for eyeshape, but why is it not just always better? With M3 it seems like the N2 stone is so vulnerable.

1 Like

Removing stones can bring advantages sometimes. Here saving N2 looks better, but in other cases you may like stronger stones outside (liberties, no atari no ko threat etc…)

3 Likes

White M2 has the advantage of creating a follow-up (capture the ko). M3 is more solid, but it is utterly gote, without a follow-up.

4 Likes

It could be the case that if the left side was territory then M2 could be better for endgame as you say.

Takes away o5 or n6 as ataris, which maybe in some random variation end up being important, or just some liberty shortage (trying to imagine a stone over at say R7 that wants to join up to the middle)

1 Like

Sorry, wrong word (did not realise plagiarism entailed lack of attribution) — I suppose what I mean is “copyright violation”: is there a problem there? You are after all reducing the motivation to buy the book, but perhaps the copyright holder has taken a kindly stance or there is no copyright.

This does concern me, though i am not knowledgeable in what fair use means with regard to collections of Go problems. I note that @Atorrante posted the problem set early in the year, and that Go problems are duplicated freely with attribution (and probably without) on other problem sites.

So I guess I want to let the site owners/moderators adjudicate this. Since this and other problem sets from books have been hosted here for a long time, I think they already have.

2 Likes

I am glad you know what I mean. I do not know much about it either, and I realise there are a lot of problems around copied from books — but that the essence of many problems is more or less common knowledge — but that their order and context can involve original work!

A year or two back I added a link to a tsumego site to Sensei’s, but this was reverted because of intellectual property problems with that site. That made me more aware of the problem.

1 Like

I’m inordinately pleased that I used the slapping tesuji in a game today.

Ladder Challenge: saxmaam(#45) vs LeandroMoi(#44). move 146+

4 Likes

@saxmaam: maybe a bit off topic, but why did you categorise this topic as Meta?

On the categories page Meta is described as a place where discussion about this forum, its organisation, how it works, and how we can improve it, takes place.

I don’t see how this topic relates to that.

Wouldn’t Go Resources be a better category for this topic?
Go resources is a place where discussion on Go resources including resources for help on learning the game, take place.

1 Like

because I asked in another thread where to put it and this was the suggestion. I hope we can get a Book Club category (or something like that) in future where these posts can live in the future.

1 Like