Broke laptop, missed Durham

Most of the games i would say to be honest.

There is another problem with linux: if you have a too technical problem the solution will require a deep knowkedge of how to use the dedicated forum with some computation culture and without guarantee of success. Then you may just pay the service you are looking for, open source is not synonym to free of costs.

1 Like

Most of the games i would say to be honest.

I’m sure you’re right, I’ve never tried any of them.
But you seem to be confused about Free Software in general. It’s not the same as “open source”, and free of costs isn’t the point. The “free” in “free software” refers to free as in freedom, not free as in no-cost. Proprietary software written by company X does what company X wants it to do. That may include transmitting data about you to company X, or disabling some function that you would like. It does what you want it to do only to the extent necessary to persuade you to pay for it. By running proprietary software, you lose the freedom to decide what your computer will do.
Free software, on the other hand, respects your freedom to decide what your computer will do. Most people would need to pay someone to check that the free software does not do anything you don’t want it to do - or to make it do something you do want it to do. Of course, most people don’t need to do this. But the fact that you could if you wanted is important, in the same way that living in a democracy has benefits even to people who never bother to vote.
Free software does have cost benefits, because the software itself can be (and usually is) obtainable without fee, but that’s not the main point.

1 Like

I am not confused at all and i know what is the intended meaning of free in an open source project. I know too that the free of cost is a very attractive side too to bring people to be free of the obscure and proprietary side.
I then warn of the limits as if you need to go outside the common shared knowledge that can be quite costly.
I talk from my experience as i messed an install because of a raid system and that’s something not covered in the usual experience by the Linux users. I introduced Linux in a company in a country where Linux is very marginal and used it for a few years, and as long as you don’t run in that kind of problem it was fine. Still if you want the best possible communication with other users and helpers in this free world you better share a bit of their knowledge and language it is definitely not a world for people with no computational basics.
I think all these limits are important to mention when promoting Linux.

2 Likes