Club Fundraising Question

Because no one has cash any more

1 Like

This may seem so, but cash is still a valid currency. Still possible to withdraw cash from cash dispensers.

2 Likes

It’s so much hassle though!
We are getting right off topic here but if you can find a cash machine you can get a note then you need to get change from somewhere, which means finding somewhere that takes cash, buying a small thing you don’t want, carrying the change about (I only ever leave the house with my phone and keys now because I pay for everything with my phone), all just to make a small donation to a go club.

In the UK you’d just make a bank transfer or use a sum up machine or something super annoying like Collctiv but it also seems that there might be rules in the US about accounting and tax or bank account fees that we don’t have in the UK (or people just ignore)

1 Like

Ofc you are correct, but creating a digital cash box seems also to be a hassle (according to OP)

What is the PNW?

Pacific northwest, says my friend Google.

But yeah, cryptic.

1 Like

Yes but a hassle for the beneficiary rather than those paying so the incentives are better aligned.

1 Like

It is a small club, so the beneficiary and those who are paying are likely to be the same.

BTW a digital cash box may not be the right term for what the OP wants.
Here is a picture of digital cash boxes (rather expensive).

I find it very amusing that at least 2500 years after the invention of money the question about how to transfer it between two people who are in the same room still needs discussion.

8 Likes

I was thinking more about something like sumup where you just have an app on you phone and people just pay by contactless. It costs 1.69% per transaction.
https://sumup.co.uk/tap-on-phone/

But obvs no idea about the US

In the U.S., anything involving money these days has accounting and tax implications: a whole mountain of bureaucracy. Have you considered asking people to donate go sets, rather than money? Of course, that would be more expensive to an individual, so perhaps multiple donors could jointly purchase a set and donate it.

Then there is the question of possession or storage of the sets. If you meet in a trusted venue (church, library, school), it may be possible to arrange for storage on site.

Specie money is that old, but our modern system of paper and dross metals is much younger.

In the U.S., cash is theoretically much more than “valid.” It is “legal tender for all debts, public and private” by Federal statute (Legal Tender Act of 1934). In other words, it is a Federal crime to refuse to accept cash. Of course, that is now one of the most unenforced laws in the U.S. I would guess, because the government wants to abolish hard cash.

Isn’t that a bit redundant as a geographic label within the US? Would you also say Atlantic North East or Gulf South in the US?

I wouldn’t use PNW to begin with in this context tbh.

A post was split to a new topic: Geographical Pedantry

You can use Zelle with an alternate email address. Gmail accounts are free and Zelle does not charge either the sender or receiver a fee.

1 Like

PNW is a geographical location on the planet earth. There is only one Pacific Northwest.

This is the only useful reply in this thread. Thank you!

1 Like

I sell affordable equipment specifically for clubs in the US (and all over the world) at https://store.baduk.club

Also, I’m planning to create a way for club members to electronically contribute funds to their local club. Let me know if you’d like to be an early tester if this feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should we change the title?

1 Like

Asking a fee from the members to get go equipment, pay a rent, the adhesion to a larger community (AGA) the beers and so on can be in fact quite difficult
Did you consider other ways, like training camp, events, creating a tournament, sponsoring… ?

A tournament especially with still low entry fee, and some well searched sponsoring can generate a good income (much more as asking a bit of cash fron each member)by using all the opportunities (a beautiful, free to use, place for association for example, a bit of advertising for a local asian restaurant, a local hightech factory, etc… )
It brings a lot more as just money too like tightening the links between the members, promoting the game, fun of course, it’s bit like organizing a go party afterall and so on.

You should seriously consider it, as to my knowledge in Europe tournaments are the main annual income in many clubs. Good start is to decide who has the most enthusiasm and disponibility and think about it together; if something is going on, then the most reluctant will finally join too.

Last don’t hesitate to ask your go federation to help as that should be their main role.

1 Like