Controversial Go opinions

You beat me to it! That’s what I was going to say :wink:

2 Likes

@bugcat
:grin:
Why not a gliding scale like @gennan suggests?
Weird that strange hiccup.
Like @gennan’s continuous scale better.

1 Like

My very limited experience is 1-2d, I can still see obvious bad moves or crude ones. 3d+ plays quite differently and very solid. Get someone as higher as possibly, never wrong probably. :smiley:

1 Like

A strong teacher is preferrable (everything else being equal), but not all strong players are good teachers.

8 Likes

Anti-Japanese rule/pro-Chinese rule crowd reminds me of anti-GPL crowd. I want to say brainwashed. It doesn’t help pros like to say PC things like each ruleset has their pros and cons.

I’m guessing what you mean by “PC”. Politically Correct?

There are some area scoring fanatics, who tend to be the sort to say

“Look, you’ll agree with me when you understand…”

Especially devotees of the AGA rules.

1 Like

https://senseis.xmp.net/?ControversialQuestions

1 Like

Dunno if it came up in this (long) thread before:

Boring go is the most sexiest go

That is why, consequentially, and in honour to Koichi and other Tokyo Subway-style players, I decided to change my OGS handle to ResidentSleeperGoClub for the next 30 days. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The game attracts weebs and nerds.
Online discussion is filled with passive aggresive BS and arrogant jerks.

They say rgg, SL and L19 are inactive because Go is less popular now irl. True. But I personally blame some of the frequent posters. Archived discussions are so unpleasant to read because of these people.

Nicer than chess community is such a low bar.

3 Likes

I agree, but I think that’s a problem with how people behave on the internet in general.

One controversial real life opinion that I have is that the majority of people should only have read-only access to the internet, and that this access should either be based on professional requirements (you need it for your job) or (for private citizens) an IQ test. Like a driver’s license but you have submit the test score to your ISP if you want it to be read-write. I think that would make such an enormous difference that virtually all internet-related problems would disappear over night.

That’s basically very controversial .

5 Likes

I mean one problem is that even people with a certain IQ can still be a-holes. I don’t think there’s any special requirement for that.

7 Likes

Ok I’d like to give some positive vibes at this point we are reaching now.

I participated in the first World Mind Sports Games 2008 in Beijing .
Awesome event with thousands of participants.

Now the go players started to have some difficulties with the organization that other mind games didn’t have.
You know what problems?

here

The go players liked to play much more as the official games. And furthermore liked to stay together all around the night, playing drinking…

That gave some headache to the organization .
That is a real specificity of the go community and I will always try to share it with people who don’t play go.

12 Likes

that’s what internet forum is for. what else do you expect? :joy:

That position is not illegal.

Black stones just weren’t removed from the board yet. It never happens instantly on real board. Yet when Go players see such board in museum or on screenshot from a movie, they often instantly assume that it is a mistake.

7 Likes

The opening and josekis were more interesting before the AIs came in.

6 Likes

I agree use of the term “professional” in the West is muddy at best and silly at worst. The possible meanings of word are simply too broad to be applicable. And the most common meaning somehow relates to money and “making a living”, which is not actually about the game itself. Of course there is some value in recognizing the concept of elite status, but using the term"professional" is a poor way of addressing that. Practically speaking, it makes more sense to focus on proven strength rather than a vague and largely arbitrary threshold. Alternatives might be controlled membership in distinct elite leagues that apply to specific players and also specific tournaments, which aligns well with current concepts of “professionals”, but using terms that are less problematic.

I reread all these posts on redefining new rating scales, like pure elo (or glicko), everyone dan or everyonekyus…

Maybe time changed as to me i like the reference to levels given in a martial art. Furthermore and that’s one of the difference with chess go has developed handicap go to help teaching. And this handicap system is aligned with the ranking in a simple way, one stone for one level.

Handicap is not THAT popular here on OGS, but see on IGS every day players accomodate with it.

I’m not saying there are no flaws but really my taste is not in favor to give up handicap and the ranking system associated for another system from chess culture.

1 Like

In my own experience, the prononciation of weiqi varries a lot inside China. Not only on tones but for the chi which can be near a ki or near a tshi

wei2 qi1 seems more common too (but i won’t put it as the rule )

1 Like