(Correspondence) What algorithm does OGS follow when choosing which game to play next?

This may be too deep in the weeds, but I might also suggest for consideration: prefer correspondence games where the opponent has just made a move (or where the opponent is online?), if there are no other urgent games.

It’s nice to sometimes temporarily switch to an almost “live mode” on a correspondence game. So unless my clock is really low somewhere, I would rather respond to a recent move (and maybe get another response!) rather than contemplate a game where the opponent isn’t around and there is plenty of clock time.

As for a note technical question - what happens to the “session” if something changes? Eg, if an opponent makes a move in a live game while I’m 7 correspondence games into my session. Presumably we’d have to forget about the position and show the live game? Would it help to have separate “urgent” and “whenever” queues inside the session?

2 Likes

You shouldn’t be leaving live games, I can’t remember the ins and outs but the expectation is that you will play live games live. If you leave you should get notified not to do that and ultimately will trigger disconnection loss and all that.

1 Like

Can’t we treat live games and correspondence games differently? Is that difficult?

That’s already done. I don’t think there’s anything to fix with live games.

1 Like