Defending against trick plays

I think the term “trick play” is being used with quite different meanings between the original post by @AVAVT and some of the subsequent discussion. We should distinguish “psychological manipulations” from the “trick play” traps that they are meant to set one up for.

SL provides the definition: "A trick play, or attempted swindle, attempts to entice the opponent into playing an “obvious” response which yields a poor result for her. If answered correctly, the result will typically be worse for the instigator of the trick than if he had played correctly."
http://senseis.xmp.net/?TrickPlay

Overplays are often good examples of trick plays. Anything that is actually the best move for the tactical situation is not a trick play, but rather simply tesuji. I think it’s fair to say that all of these (trick plays, overplay, tesuji) are just part of the game. Playing tough to answer moves that lead your opponent into making mistakes is a valid strategy, but utilizing tricks can backfire if your opponent does not fall for the traps and instead finds the tesujis that punish your overplays.

However, it seems that @AVAVT is not talking just about trick plays in themselves, but rather instead focusing on the surrounding psychological manipulation for pushing your opponent into responding to trick plays with the wrong moves. Trick plays create the positional traps for your opponent to make a mistake, but @AVAVT is really talking about the psychological tricks that set your opponent up to fall prey to those traps. I think the point is that these psychological manipulations can cause a player to make even bigger blunders against much simpler tricks. The key to avoiding such psychological tricks is probably less about getting stronger at reading, but more about preparing yourself mentally to resist these manipulations and to not let your guard down.

See how the post talks about waiting until the opponent’s time is running low to create more pressure in responding to a prepared trick move. The given “crudest example” describes masking the trick as a “bad attempt at timesuji” to manipulate the opponent into overlooking that the filled dame requires teire to avoid catastrophe. The other “common tricks” mentioned by @AVAVT are purely psychological manipulation of the opponent through their “pride”, “greed”, “false security”, and “shock”. “Tempo” and “play order” are only briefly alluded to, since @AVAVT seems to want to avoid encouraging their use, but I’m guessing an example of this would be playing a quick sequence of simple end-game moves but inserting a mundane looking dame-filling trick in that sequence to maximize the chance that it is overlooked and not properly responded to.

Arguably, these psychological manipulations are all just part of the game as well, since “all is fair in love and war”, but I can see how some of these psychological ploys would be frowned upon. Particularly, the “shock” technique, such as rubbing in your opponent’s mistake with a grin to push them into playing worse due to a distressed state of mind (in poker, this would be called “playing on-tilt”), probably wouldn’t make you many friends.

3 Likes