Do you ever play weaker on purpose?

You should play how you want to play. It’s a game, and it’s meant to be fun. What if someone who loves to fight plays against someone who plays slow and solid, and one of them gets really mad at the other for their play style?

Also, if the game is decided by that point then they should follow their own moral rules and resign with dignity, and not get so upset.

Further, I would really like to know how someone can determine if you are playing sub-optimal moves, if they aren’t obvious moves. I would really like to know, since this game would become trivial if we could easily identify the optimal moves.

7 Likes

“Sandbagging” is a stretch here. If I lose, there is nothing that my opponent loses. If my rank wobbles from the occasional additional loss (because I lose regularly), then who would notice? And in the big scheme of gaming, how much is that really affecting my rank? As I understand it, a person who is sandbagging plays weaker opponents while disguising their rank.

That is not what I am doing at all. Nor are there multiple losses in a row related to me playing this way. I’m not affecting the ranking pool and there is no way my opponent would know that I’m playing poorly on purpose. I’m not throwing A1 moves or playing within territory where there is no hope of survival. Sub-optimal moves, not ridiculous or suicidal :hugs:.

@Kaworu_Nagisa: I loved everything you had to say. No need to quote a specific part. Thank you for chiming in :wink:

4 Likes

The above two posts have great points - I agree with them, and am persuaded from my earlier gut reaction position.

3 Likes