European Go Journal: June 2022

Part of what? :rofl: the global go community?

1 Like

I always thought that financing live events is more expensive: venues, equipment, fares and lodging for star guests, licences… If someone opts for conference centers or hotels, they charge the starlit sky. I never imagined that organising the same event online would cost more!

In which case, the president shouldn’t talk about making Go popular but about making european Go stronger (or something to that effect). Like I said earlier, the strategies for expanding and for talent hunting are different and he can’t expect results for both targets with the same strategy.

Can this base be expanded? I would think it’s finite.

Anyway, it is what it is. :woman_shrugging:

The journal is good quality, by the way.

1 Like

Of the problem.

Since access and cost don’t seem important to you. Sorry I’m a poor from Doesntmatterland. :woman_shrugging:t2:

It’s a matter of visibility, validity and a sense of “being official”, that comes by EGF being a federation. The public likes federations, associations and organisations, because they sound “official”. If an event has the “ok” from a federation, people trust it more.

3 Likes

Exactly, and that needs to be protected. It’s much harder to run a trustworthy tournament online than in person and I can imagine EGF might want to avoid a high profile cheating controversy. Offline tournaments are safer for that good reputation you say they have.

I have a lot to say on that, but it doesn’t belong in the journal promotion thread.

Anyway, like I said, it is what it is. Their federation, their rules.

Promoting Go to people I know or work with would have been fun.

1 Like

Yeah that’s fair. It’s an interesting discussion topic, maybe it’ll pop up somewhere more appropriate later on.

Thanks everyone for this discussion!

If anyone would like to talk about the EGF or how it works, or some projects (if you don’t want to send a request directly to the EGF), feel free to send me a private message here or wherever you find me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, it is good to know that we are all boiling in the same kettle, so to speak :slight_smile:

Ok, I will do so.
I’ve been sending them updates every time the Multilingual Go Project completes a translation in a new language. In my best of knowledge this hasn’t happened so far: EGF can send an email to the Go clubs in countries that do not have a Go book in their own language and say: “Hey this is free, would you consider helping out and get a Go book in your own language?”

It is just an email and it costs nothing, but we could get a lot of Go book translations out of it. :slight_smile:
I will formulate it better and send it to them along with my announcement of the fifth completed translation, hopefully next month.

It is a matter like the chicken and the egg. In this case though, the grassroots simple fans/players are the ones that give birth to the viability of those events. An organisation should aim first for popularity among normal everyday people.

But aren’t online events, by default, cheaper and easier to organise and maintain? For starters they do not require a venue, rent, people moving, organising groundwork activities and hotels and so on and so on …

Quite so. But when you want to expand, reach, access and cost are crucial, especially if the money is not plenty to go around.

A few important things:
a) Official ranking. I am not very keen on that, but even for me it provided a “wow-factor” to see the stats in the European Go players database and see the events I’ve attended. Can’t say the same for OGS tournaments.
b) Official marketing. You feel like you are participating in something grander. Also makes it easier to advertise/entice others for it. Compare the two statements towards two people that do not know about the game:
“Hey, I am playing Go online” (possible response to another online game “meh, who cares?”)
“Hey, I am participating in the European Amateur Cup of Go” (possible response "What on earth is that and how did YOU get on it?)
c) More people would join and would interconnect the various groups within the community and the servers.

I think that PandaNet has a good approach on this, where it cares only for the first division iirc, to provide evidence and video while playing. I’ve never heard of anyone complain about a cheater in the lower ranks during the few years I’ve been in the team in division C and D.

I mean who really cares if there is a cheater or a sandbagger in a “Quarterly EGF SDK Cup” … it is all about the promo and people having fun, and players from various countries and servers coming together and enjoying an official event and feeling that they belong in a large active community :slight_smile:

It is not as if those events would have a prize that a cheater/sandbagger would want anyway. (possibly the winner would get a book or free online lessons from a sponsor academy?)

Maybe that’s what we think because we don’t have one :innocent:

1 Like

I will be that person, and say we don’t have an association.
We do have a federation, technically, but it doesn’t want us. :innocent::joy: