Exploring other board games -- a challenge

This is starting in about a week or so

So it looks like they don’t have go. And anyone can contact them to run a go tournament on any go server.

They have 9x9 and 19x19 Go held on ogs that I can see.

The abstract games are in Red

25th February and 12th of March

Ah, yes. There it is:

1 Like

My advice is to add the short rule introduces and joys of these board games to the chart. In this way, people in the city don’t need to click those games sites one by one. He or she can just read the chart to find a funny one to play.

heh, I think this is a strange joke. Maybe you should have waited until April 1st, 2021 to write that? lol
A few of the rules are:

• Gess is played on a grid of 18 × 18 squares.
  • Starting with Black, players take turns moving a piece on the board. A move must always change the stone configuration on the board. There is no passing.
  • A piece consists of a 3 × 3 grid of squares, at least one of which must exist on the board. Only stones of one color may be in the grid. There must be at least one stone on the eight squares around the central square.
  • A ring is any piece consisting of eight stones around an empty central square.
  • The game object is to be the only player with a ring piece on the board: when, at the end of any turn, a player has no ring pieces on the board, that player loses the game. If neither player has a ring piece, the player who has just moved loses.

Seems legit to me!

My jokes tend to be. But I still find it hard to take this seriously…

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ringpiece

~ 15 mins in case anyone wanted a bunch of amazons games - it’d just keep pairing as long as it’s ongoing.

anyone played these new games designed by Lee Sedol? discovered them in this news post on BGG

I guess they are already published in Korea but maybe wider release later:

Hi there! We are currently still translating this game series. We are working on presenting it at the upcoming Berlin Boardgame Con in July, after which we can hopefully start distributing it to our global partners. Sadly, I cannot make any promises as to when exactly this will be

3 Likes

Not yet!

But we did make fun of them:
Oops

1 Like

I’m not part of the secret club any more :slightly_frowning_face:
but why make fun? it’s more wholesome of an activity than whatever NFT stuff he was doing before after all

1 Like

We made fun of the games themselves, not the activity of designing games.

For instance:

Combining Go’s open gameplay with the chance taking of Bingo, this game does not only require strategic thinking, but also a good memory. It is divided into two phases: stone acquisition and stone playing. Your goal is to get a bingo by playing your chosen stones. Choose what information you will give your opponent and try to remember what you know about their game plan.

It was very gentle fun, to make us patient until we can play them :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Is anyone interested in a pentathlon challenge?

The rules are pretty simple:

• We play five different games (and they cannot be variants of the same game).
  • Game 1 is any variant of Go (including standard 19x19), agreed upon by the players.
  • Both players take turns to propose 2 games each, according to the following table:
    Game Proposed by
    1 Both (any Go variant)
    2 Player A
    3 Player B
    4 Player B
    5 Player A

• All games are played simultaneously
  • Timing system may vary, but must be roughly 1 day per move.
  • Handicap for each game can be agreed upon by the players
  • For every game there must exist a server that allows proper gameplay.
  • No AI assitance is allowed. Opening books, joseki dictionaries, etc. must be declared before each game, so that both players have access to the same resources.

I’m open to suggestions.

1 Like

It sounds interesting, though how to handicap some games seems tricky.

It also seems like you should probably bias toward games you’re good at and expect to win :stuck_out_tongue: Not so much playing new games except probably the one your opponent chooses.

I guess it will probably likely go player A wins choice A, B wins choice B etc, unless you accidentally choose something the opponent is better than you at.

In other boardgame business - there’s a Tumbleweed championship coming up in a week or so, which could be interesting.

1 Like

Mindsports tournaments again this year

4 Likes

5 Likes