Feature request: A mode for anonymous games

Just for fun, could someone explain why having OGS create a temporary Guest#n account with restricted privileges is a bad solution. The KGS client tells a user “If this is your first time visiting KGS, pick a user name and type it in the “Name” field. Then press the “Guest” button”. Those who want to send links with game invites could just as easily say go to OGS site and login as Bob or Alice.

I ask because it seems like a lot of machinery is being invented to accomplish what is essentially already in place. How many OGS users plan to use this feature?

2 Likes

I have created 2 guest accounts (no email address required)

username: guest_1
password: pass123

username: guest_2
password: pass123

Anyone can use these! Enjoy!

What happens when they change the password?

2 Likes

Oops :thinking: !! :rofl:

1 Like

…another thing: Since these operate as normal accounts, they can attain ratings, enter tournaments, etc. Different people could log in to play moves in those games.

This was a nice idea but has weak spots. Creating Guest account(s) that are limited to non-rated games, can’t enter tournaments and maybe some other logical restrictions - like limiting how long it can remain in use under one login - is a good idea (if I say so myself :wink: ). It has the advantage that someone who finds out about the site on their own can visit, let themselves in, try it out and then decide whether they’re interested in creating an account.

The other options being talked about serve a different purpose and have their own merits.

The former suits individual seekers (buddhas) and the latter, more suited to the evangelical milieu (fisherman and their fish). No value judgement intended.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.