Feature Request: Optional pronouns in the title card

I actually think the text should have the same colour as the username and rank, since it’s information related to the user, contrasted to the black / white text related to the game.

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been suggested above; I don’t have the courage to go through the whole thread, but I didn’t see a picture of it. Here is another place we could put it. These title cards are not very useful at the moment (except for seeing the flag) so this kind of info could give them a purpose. We could call them profile cards, I think KGS have a free text field with a similar purpose (although I find it too long).

I took a minute to put it in the HTML, it could certainly look better. (also I don’t know japanese or elvish gender titles!)

TitleCard

By putting some suggested fields (languages spoken, gender, like to review) I think we could get a good percentage of users to use it.

9 Likes

I like this formatting the best yet. It’s unobtrusive, but still easy to read.

2 Likes

I think subtitle shouldn’t be part of the clickable link and therefore should be different color than the username. Too much orange looks bad.

But at the end of the day it looks bad anyway. Right now we have neat concise player cards. They’ll be bigger and more hectic. Two rows is definitely too much, it should be capped at one.

@Jhyn don’t forget about buttons so it’s gonna look like this

So at least it should be other way around

But at the end of the day, if you need to click to see it, it’s almost the same as looking at the profile.

2 Likes

Since I see my title card displayed here in all its glory, I might as well put my two cents in. I like the idea of having a “quick info about me” spot when you click on the title in the way that Jhyn suggests, either beneath the name or beneath the picture.

On the other hand, this probably won’t fix the issue of streamers misgendering their opponents. I don’t think, however, that merely providing an optional place to declare pronouns would be a political stance on the part of OGS. It’s more of a courtesy to some subset of the users, which does not imply that OGS believes that the issue is important or unimportant.

6 Likes

If the free text field is going to be the one we go with, then it only makes sense if it is in the player card and doesn’t require you to click or mouse over.

That way not only does it satisfy the original request, but you can piggy back other issues, such as labeling teachers, links to their stream, or anything else that the user wishes to ensure more people see. If it required you to click on their name, then the use-rate would be much less, making it less valuable to the player if they wish to state something.

2 Likes

It looks like we are reaching consensus around a free text field with a generic “info” label displayed in the title or player card. Therefor I want to take this moment to congratulate the OGS community for being open minded and approaching this topic with the nuances it deserves.

I was afraid when I opened this topic that it would quickly be filled with toxic viewpoints and disrespect. I was wrong, especially given how homogeneous the go community is. I am thoroughly impressed. Thank you OGS community for being awesome :black_heart::white_heart:

6 Likes

I don’t really have an opinion; or rather, I am sure that anyone with an eye for design can do something much prettier than the both of us. I just wanted to show which card I was talking about.

You have a point about the buttons; however I disagree on

It doesn’t require you to leave the page; for live games in particular, it is night and day. Am I alone in clicking on my opponent’s card to check where he comes from and if I can address him in French/Spanish? I would not go to his profile to see that.

@FinrodFelagund Hope you don’t mind! The whole story about languages reminded me of our game. I faer nîn linna nan glass.

7 Likes

I think so. I’ve never seen Clossius or another streamer do it. I don’ do it myself either…

1 Like

I very much disagree with this sentiment, as I need at least two clicks to get to my opponent’s profile, and click away from the tab, get a bit paranoid about the DC timer because I always worry it starts running while I’m tabbed out, not see my clock at all during that time

5 Likes

I think the point is

1. It’s important enough to be visible right on the player/title card, without having to “find it”, and

2. Considering how few people seem to care about navigating to their opponents’ profiles in live/blitz games, pushing the text field back means it’s likely that the original problem (and subsequent ones identified in this thread) won’t be solved.

It’s worth putting it right in the player/title card.

4 Likes

I also do that - for every opponent. :relaxed: It would be really cool to have some extra information on the person without having to go to their profile.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.