Fewer people saying "hi"?

Is it all clear to everyone now?

It was already clear. I think you missed the part where I and others explained why it may be confusing in the end.

Your proposal would do nothing to stop the escapers, stallers, score cheats, and other violators. Like many posters in this thread, you seem to have overlooked the OP’s main point,

I mean, you can’t be sure on the Internet but I think @flovo was joking when saying it would fix OP’s problem.

2 Likes

Yes, I missed that. Please tell me the confusion and I’ll try to clear it up.

If this is addressed to me, I wasn’t trying to fix any problem other than quickly sending a message to someone in their own language.

I’d like to have a small, fixed set of auto-translated messages, but I think they should be (clearly) marked as auto-translated. Other customizable quick-messages don’t need to go away.

Gute Nacht
Good night

5 Likes

If this is addressed to me,

I wasn’t replying to you, as indicated in the top right corner of my message which shows “Conrad_Melville”.

Yes, I missed that. Please tell me the confusion and I’ll try to clear it up.

I mean you can just go back up in this thread, but I was referring to this : Fewer people saying "hi"? - #59 by qnpnpmqppnp

However please read the following messages after that in this thread, to avoid repeating the same discussion.

This thread is closed, but I feel like it’s a good solution: Translate for game chat

It was mentioned that there is some server cost. That is true, but robo-translation is pretty darn cheap. This UX is also used in many of the big social media sites:

YouTube-translate-comments-ss-fin

2 Likes

That’s really an interesting suggestion, i hope more to come (in a positive way ofc)

Could we have some autotranslation, with a switch (and a suggested language you could modify)?

https://forums-online–go-com.translate.goog/t/fewer-people-saying-hi/48218/84?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=ja&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp&_x_tr_hist=true

Can it be integrated.in the game chat?

LOL, that’s a way to avoid getting computer-savvy for sure :sweat_smile:

What makes you say it looks so? I only use OGS on desktop :smiley:

4 Likes

Maybe @david265 is taking an extreme position on unlabelled buttons, but it is really irritating if an application gives no idea what its buttons are for. On a large screen a caption or mouseover, on a phone at the least a symbol (given that both major OS’es have made mouseover more or less impossible, the swine): that is a minimum of courtesy that one should be able to expect! And somewhere, some help with decent documentation.

3 Likes

it may be bad for new user
for experienced user it would be good if there was option to turn on special design where all buttons are replaced with little icons, but board is as big as possible

Be patient. UI will become more clever starting at a level of information for a 2 years child and evoluating to be fitting the needs of an expert user. All with continuous analysis of your personal development and AI and such in the background.

4 Likes

The button in question here is not unlabelled though, it has a little triangle icon, which is standard UI to mean “Click this to expand/collapse to show/hide more stuff” and therefore you know clicking it won’t do some drastic state-changing action you can’t undo like deleting something or actually sending a message, it’s just showing or hiding things for you in your view to then take further action if you wish.

10 Likes

True enough in this case, given that it points down, and assuming we trust the app. We had drifted a bit further off-topic.

1 Like

Uberdude, I agree that the implication is that clicking should do no harm. However, without documentation (such as a tool tip when hovering), it is unclear whether OGS will translate the chosen text into the opponent’s language or not. The online go game BadukPop does such translation (just for a few phrases) into many languages, and chooses the right language for the opponent. It is enjoyable to use because it is clear what it does, right from the first use.

It helps to bring the world a little closer together in harmony during Go play.

Just found this topic through search, and I’m really surprised by how many people disagreed with the OP.

I have similar beliefs as them: I expected more greetings on OGS (they were pretty standard when I used to play on KGS).

If we were playing in person we’d greet each other, so it’s a bit of a disappointment. This isn’t an MMO, but a two-person game (typically).

Just wanted to empathize with the OP and raise a concern that this makes games very impersonal / doesn’t foster a community spirit.

I have seen a ton of great things about OGS, but the lack of greetings at the start of games isn’t something that I consider positive (even if it’s standard on other servers not to greet).

2 Likes

Be the change you want, I guess? Just greet folk, and play more with folk who greet you back… :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I have forgotten to say hi in the chat for some time.

On a similar subject, do players on fox say hi? There often are Chinese characters in the chat window, but I can’t tell if that was from my opponent or not.