Foreign-language poetry composition

lol wut

In een Nimweegs cafe
zat een man die las de krant.
Hij keek op en zag twee go spelers
en zei vol verbazing:
"Kie deur, se spele met snuupkes.

Sorry, untranslatable :crazy_face:

EDIT: @KAOSkonfused, @Haze_with_a_Z, @bugcat, do you understand dutch?
Cool !

4 Likes

Autumnus
Cum folia robiginosa ex arbores delabentur
Et flamina dulcia riuos siluae super spirabunt
Cum terra balanos et castaneas operient
Et ursi in cauis sua se abdent
Nos cum cornua et canes uenabimur
Et in nemora frondosa comisabimur!

Autumn
When the rusty leaves come tumbling from the trees
And pleasant drafts blow over the forest streams
When acorns and chestnuts cover the ground
And the bears retreat into their caves
Then we will go hunting with horns and hounds
And make merry in the leafy glades!

Most of it, although not the end…

What are snuupkes?
And I also don’t know what “Kie deur” means.

Snuupkes are candies. It is the way people from Nijmegen (just over the border near Kleve/Emmerich) pronounce snoepjes.
Kie deur means kijk daar eens (look over there).

2 Likes

Also, it only makes sense if you’re aware these are popular Dutch candy:

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know that!
In Germany, we have these white and pink chocolate candies that have the exact shape (and roughly the size) of Go stones, but that is even better.

3 Likes

Nope. I had a go once, but to no avail. I know many English speakers say that Dutch is the easiest language to naturally understand, but personally I’ve found Swedish and even Latin better.

I have very little idea of what a typical Dutch sentence means.

I like this one. Nemora frondosa is a good vergilian phrase. Would you like me to correct some grammar here in a PM?

Sure, or do it LLL – either’s fine. Or here, for that matter. I know I’m full of error, it’s no secret~ c:

Not sure my possessives are right here :expressionless:

Carmen Famis
Militi panem et poscam suus sunt
Imperatori crustula et uinum aureolum sua sunt
Barbaris sanguinem equi et hydromel suus sunt
Tamen modo folia acria citri mi :c

Famine Song
To the soldier his bread and posca
To the Emperor his cakes and fine wine
To the barbarians their horse blood and mead
But all I have are bitter lemon-leaves

1 Like

yojijukugo for 2020

温水寒茶 morning
睡眠下机 work
必然熊死 hiking
火精神火 life

2 Likes

いちにさんよん
はいわたしすきに
いちにさんよん

My really bad poetry that is probably in the wrong order.

It’s supposed to say:

1 2 3 4
Yes I like 2
1 2 3 4

I’m not really creative and so that is why the last line repeats. Sorry

3 Likes

Sure, you can haiku, but can you ultra-haiku?

sús
mel dó
daps

pig
I bring you honey
a feast

Based on existing methods of producing goose liver (foie gras), [Marcius Gavius] Apicius devised a similar method of producing pork liver. He fed his pigs with dried figs and slaughtered them with an overdose of mulsum (honeyed wine) – Pliny, Natural History

In this poem, we actually don’t know for certain the etymology of any of the words. They aren’t loaned from Greek like a lot of Latin vocabulary; instead their past is shrouded in the mists of Italian prehistory.

This is quite refreshing when you consider that we can trace a word like English satchel through Old French sachel, from Latin sacellum, in turn from sacculus, from saccus, and even to Greek σάκκος (sákkos); with many other words in modern European languages having visible etymologies. This poem is entirely mysterious that way :smiley:

1 Like

These look perfect to introduce the game to children

1 Like

what is an ultra haiku?

1 - 2 - 1 ^^

1 Like

It’s not the possessives that bother me (well, they do) as much as the nominatives.

In this context here, there’s a good occasion to use habeto (imp) or habeat (subj.) ‘let him have’. If you want to keep esse, you can use its subj. sint.

Habeat miles panem, poscam
Habeat caesar uinum, crustam
Habeat barbarus hydromel,
sanguis equinum sit ei gaudium,

Can’t think of something for the last line. I never heard of lemons either, is that one of those fancy things they grow in Persia? And for some reason, I started to think of it as a marching song for soldiers and got carried away with a humpa humpa tune, sorry.

2 Likes

Heh, I can definitely hear the march in your first two lines~

2 Likes

Have you ever heard the etymology of bureau?

I thought not. It’s not a word history the schools would teach you.

We know bureau as a part-time synonym of ‘office’, right? At least it is in German, a Büro can be an office like an authority of some sort (the FBI), but also just any room where you have desks, printers and salary-men (The Office). Now, un bureau in french is all that, too, but most of all it is a fancy desk, a piece of furniture to do paperwork on.

What is it that makes it fancy in the first place? The first bureau-desks got their name from a thin cloth that was fixed on the surface, so that papers dont slide around on the wood and that the wood doesn’t get damaged.

This kind of cloth used to be called a bureau, but the story doesn’t end here. The very first bureaux, or burels at that time, were the diminutive forms of bure, which goes back to a Latin burra - a shaggy coat.

5 Likes