Fox Better Than OGS

Better to market, maybe, but far easier to get bored with, since the board is so small.

I am one of those people, so I play correspondence games, what’s the issue with that solution? That younger people are addicted to “fast paced content” that even YouTube had to introduce “Shorts”? That’s a complex techno-social issue, good luck with that.

Someone else mentioned League of Legends. How come millions of kids find time for a LoL ranked game which takes 35 minutes and is most-probably a rage-filled unfun one-sided experience, but Go, somehow, needs to become “easy to consume or else”?

Maybe something else is a much more important problem here?

I’ve been playing Go for so much time, but I still do not understand the reasoning behind Chinese rules. Japanese rules are much clearer to me however and I’ve never had any issue with them. You cannot say which ruleset is easier to understand, just because you seem to get it. Have you tried explaining the chinese rules to beginners and compared if they understand those far better than the Japanese rules?

That is, again, the symptom of a different, bigger, problem.

Everything is “really hard to master” though. Even pen spinning. We can pretend otherwise for marketing reasons, but that’s the truth.

I haven’t noticed that, but that is a problem easily solved by adjusting the kyu ranks to ELO. For example, I was surprised to find out that if my ranking of 2k was in ELO terms, I’d have 1700 ELO and be at Class B. I didn’t ever think that my Go rank was anything to write home about, but “1700 ELO” hits differently in the West. I’ve played chess against someone with 1700 ELO. He won each time with an awe-inspiring ease (I am unranked in chess - don’t know even a single opening, I’ve just played thousand chess games).

Similarly. 10k is around 1100-1200 ELO which, if I am not mistaken, is quite respectable in chess. This is an easily solved problem in perspective. :slight_smile:

Again, you are missing the point. That is like the fun idea Pratchett had in Diskworld, where they built a temple without any particular God in mind, thinking that once the temple was there, the Gods would line up to be worshiped :stuck_out_tongue:

We need marketing first. Someone needs to bring those new people in. We can make the game as easy and beginner-friendly as you like, the problem is, where will you FIND said beginners.

This is what you are missing:

Go might be a business for you, who is trying to be a professional Go teacher. As far as OGS is concerned, Go is a business for the one or two people that are the actual owners/developers. The rest are unpaid volunteers that are doing their hobby.

Here is the issue more analytically:

I won’t write all that again and I know that most people won’t click it, so I’ll only repeat this part:

" … Yes! We can all ignore all those things. Yes! We can pretend they are not there, but that won’t change them or make them go away. Thus, any promoting effort, just like any other problem that needs to be solved in the history of this world, needs to take into account the data, the facts and the reality that exists around the problem or simply fail to solve it."

We want to, but we do not have the time, money and skill for it. Case in point:

The only criteria we have for new recruits in the Greek Go Association is that they breathe air. :stuck_out_tongue:
That doesn’t change the fact that they are still few and far between (if any). It is a problem of time, money and marketing skill on OUR end, but not a problem of elitism or anything of that sort.

On the topic, noone is barring entrance to anyone in OGS, as far as I know. The lack of promotion is the biggest issue.

3 Likes