:game_die: 3

@discobot roll 1d2

:game_die: 2

Team odd:
Feijoa, yebellz, terrific
Team even:
Jon_Ko, Maharani, Vsotvep

These players share their secondary colour:
(Feijoa, Jon_Ko), (yebellz, Maharani), (terrific, Vsotvep)

I will create the game thread shortly.

3 Likes

Just a small request, can we stick with white and black as the team colors?

3 Likes

Sure that’s fine by me, unless the other players don’t like it.

2 Likes

I hope no one objects. This game is already confusing enough.

With @Vsotvep and I on separate teams, one of us is sure to finally get a win in this variant, while the other gets to continue the streak.

4 Likes

Question: “all colours combined” means all colours submitted or literally all colours?

5 Likes

Only the colours of those players that submitted this move get combined.

//Edit: I changed the rules description to be more specifc.

3 Likes

Since the question came up, here’s another clarification for everybody: The players may change their move submissions in their designated private message threads as often as they wish. However please don’t rely on being able to change your move until the deadline, because I will proceed earlier when I have all submissions.
In the event that a player wishes to change their move while I am in the process of computing the updated position, I will ignore the request and proceed with the old move.

5 Likes

I was wondering what would happen if you tried to have a discussion publicly about a strategy but encoded in some way. Supposing you didn’t tell any of the players and you didn’t discuss privately with teammates since that’s against the rules, but instead hope that for some type of encryption your teammate might understand it but others wouldn’t :slight_smile:

Is that legitimate? :slight_smile:

What about using really small text in the hopes that the opposing team skips over it

Or

Maybe some other sneaky ideas in case people are only skimming the thread

2 Likes

This could be doable if for example two players previously developed a “language” only they know, which may have happened unrelated to the game. I have no Idea how I could fix this via the rules without disallowing communication altogether, which would be a shame. Lets agree not to do such a thing - public communication in a team game with simultaneous moves is already intricate enough :wink:

2 Likes

I think the basic spirit of the rule is that all communication should be public and intelligible over the main game thread. Not only is this is restriction on how coordination can be performed, but it also reduces the burden of managing separate private channels.

Using a cipher or secret code system or exclusive language would violate that spirit by establishing private channels. I think tricks like small text or hiding details is okay, since it does not really hide things, but it is maybe more of annoying gimmick. A trick like a ghost edit to delete content before others can see, I think, should not be allowed.

3 Likes

I already knew in my mind that it would be against the spirit of the rules, but I still thought it would be fun to mention :slight_smile: Maybe that’s the weird sense of creativity I have, it’s in almost no way useful, but it is what it is :slight_smile:

Still there may be a much more relaxed and subtle sense in which it could be applied. Not a cypher or code but in tone in which something is implied.

Of course tone is pretty tricky to infer properly online, which could either be both a hinderance for communicating with the team members or a blessing for the difficulty of the opposition to decipher.

If I said something like

I certainly wouldn’t want to play Q4 next

then there’s certainly nothing hidden there, everyone can read and understand what it’s saying, but of course the way it’s interpreted wouldn’t necessarily be uniform without further context.

One team member might interpret it as saying oh they’re implying they’ll play Q4 since otherwise there’s almost no point in saying it - it would hardly be useful to let the opponents know where you won’t play.

And yet as an opponent there’s certainly doubt as to its meaning, one can’t really do much with the information gained except for try to prepare for something that might come of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We could then impose a second rule that prohibits sign stealing, and then each team starts to do exactly that, but in secret, and years into the future huge scandals will erupt when it turns out one team always was aware of the plans of the other team

4 Likes

I honestly know nothing about sign stealing and had to look up that it’s probably something to do with baseball.

Is it also the plot of some baseball based film? The years into the future business, or just a reference to an actual scandal? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Basically, in baseball the catcher and the pitcher have to communicate what kind of ball the pitcher wil throw, so that the catcher has an easier time catching it, or with the hitting team communicating whether to steal bases or not, so baseball teams invent sign language to communicate. They often include a bunch of nonsense in between to mask the actual message, and it’s forbidden to decipher the messages of the opposing team with any external tools, like a computer or something.

Here’s a fun video by Mark Rober who uses machine learning to decipher signs:

1 Like