Fun Method to Teach Beginners

I think it’s more the case that we don’t know how to teach it. I expect that there is a “standardized curriculum”, as @AlexSmiles put it, for Go but that we don’t have access to it. I expect that Korean Baduk schools have standardized curricula for example.

2 Likes

Without a doubt. Korean, Chinese, and Japanese schools all have standardized curriculum for official schooling. I have often wished I could get access to the school materials for children who forgo a standard education and are instead educated in Go from the age of 4 or 5. You can find kids will all sorts of Go books in school pictures all over the internet. I’m jealous of those little children. That they have access to such materials :blush:

1 Like

Probably right. I have a very clear picture of what to teach and how when it comes to basketball. But the link I put down is an actual curriculum that they use in Korea

Might be useful:

1. Curriculum Guide for Go In School (234 pg)

2. Level Up (30k-10k, 10 books), and Jump Level Up (10k-1k), published by BadukTopia

3. I’ve heard the Elementary Go Series is very information heavy. You can read more on Sensei.

4. In terms of research material: David Carlton’s Go Bibliography, Organized by Difficulty

5. A Go Course Outline (7pg)

5 Likes

I think BenGoZen (blogger) has a very nice article about teaching beginners:

1 Like

Thanks for the wonderful information guys! I’m familiar with most of the links posted, but there’s a few things in here that I haven’t seen. The end of the school year is crazy, so I’ve been pretty busy getting ready for our end-of-the-year concerts. I haven’t been able to dedicate a whole lot of time to outlining the book, but I definitely have a few more ideas on how I’m structuring it. I write really detailed outlines so that’s why it usually takes me a while. I have the memory of a goldfish so I try to get everything I can on the paper while I’m still thinking of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Interesting discussion!

1 Like

I think @tonybe would like this.

1 Like