Game annulment due to extended absence of opponent

Any chance you could share a link? Are you talking about the XAlexander posts from this thread? If so, it seems more anecdotal than demonstrative that this is more than an exceptional case.

I can find anecdotes from players in my own game history that go the other way. For example, this dropbear user has the mass timeouts that have won and undecided games too, the case that the mass timeout rule assumes. Here is a game where this user is comfortably ahead Tournament Game: Mingren Main Title Tournament 2022 (96938) R:2 (dropbear vs Flowflo98)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not condoning this behavior. This type of behavior should be reported/warned/banned whatever. I just don’t think we need to use the rank system as a penalty.

And here’s a user with what looks like a “life event”: Poller
And one that joined a bunch of games, but didn’t play moves: go2zoo

These three players are the most recent mass timeouts I could find in my game history, so I hope it’s clear I’m not trying to cherry pick. But anecdotes aren’t really going to give us the answer we need. It would be much better to have a holistic analysis that shows “There have been X mass timeouts in the last Y days, and Z% of these have been associated with a majority of games in losing positions”

1 Like