Game length histogram

This is a subset of players from this [Outdated] Improved OGS rank histogram

I think no matter how we count correspondence games will be in minority. Correspondence takes more commitment.

I like slow games. But there’re a lot of fast players out there. Many times I’ve seen review requests on games that last like 15 minutes and wondered why bother reviewing if a player didn’t bother to think about the game for more than that. Many times I picked a game for kibitz that turned out to be played blitz-like. This is why I figured to plot this graph - to see what’s the general speed of play in go.

I played live games that last more than 2 hours but these are rare. It’s more often that fast correspondence games when both opponents are online end up taking less than a day.

I also notice that longer time controls don’t necessarily produce longer games - players often play them like it’s blitz anyway.

Also lots of people resign on the first sight of trouble, and that’s why otherwise long game may take less time. Maybe we should plot only games that went into counting?

I’ll look into different time controls but I need time to figure out “time_control_parameters” field. It’s a bit of a mess.

4 Likes