Game page wider right column (game chat etc)

I find this one will become mayhem as well

1 Like

I remember now, I think: IIRC this started happening when the buttons under the Goban were made more “accessible”.

1 Like
3 Likes

Browser: Google Chrome Version 114.0.5735.110
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1200

board is surely much smaller than could be. right column fails to become narrow enough

That’s correct. I commented on the PR back when it first came up, but no response - it might be stuck like that now :joy:

1 Like

to get max board height, I need to make window much wider than before:

with slightly less wide window than that, board is not max height:

@GreenAsJade , it works wrong!

2 Likes

I reckon the fix will be moving them to where @stone.defender said :smiley: :smiley:

Yep, that’s not right.

Thanks for sharing. If it’s driving you mad, you can of course turn off this new feature while I figure out what’s going wrong :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I mean we could potentially just update the css to how they looked before. The main accessibility issue was that <span>s don’t capture tab events, but <button>s do. AFAIK, the cosmetic changes weren’t related to accessibility.

Yeah I might have a stack overflow if I turn my attention to that though :wink:

3 Likes

Just to make sure I’m understanding: you’re talking about the teeny gap between the top of the board and the menu bar right?

Can you persuade it to be worse than that, or is that as bad as it gets?

(I agree it’s not “as intended” … just trying to make sure I’m looking at the right thing, and understand the extent of the problem)

Actually, as far as I can see that gap exists in the old design as well. It’s “inside” the goban - the painting margin. I can’t actually reproduce the effect of the screenshot that shows it completely gone!

problem becomes more clear when I make window even less wide

before, when right column was more narrow, board was max height or almost max height with that width of window
now, it has much less height. It doesn’t use empty space even with current width right column

right column can become more narrow, but it doing it systematically incorrect

The last picture is due to the minimum right hand column width.

In order to make the board bigger without reducing the right hand column width further, it has to switch to the “portrait (aka mobile)” layout.

Is that what you’d want, at this width?

For the first picture, I need to try to reproduce that - I can see the board could be a small amount larger, and the right hand column does not appear to be minimum width. It might just be “darn it, there are lots of compromises going on, very hard to do better than this” (without completely ripping it up and starting again, and introducing a whole new set of problems). We’ll see :thinking:

1 Like

there is something wrong with size of board itself
even if we don’t make right column more narrow, there are too many empty spaces

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not right.

It’d be great if you could tell me the browser and the actual window size that makes that happen…

1 Like

for example

Google Chrome , 1406x1069

Opera, 978x817

Microsoft Edge, 1435x1065

3 Likes

As long as you’re poking around this aspect of the GUI and considering redoing it, I’d like to mention again that mobile landscape is especially ridiculous, almost certainly worse than if it just used the portrait mode:

Maybe it would work better with a scrollable page and fixed-position goban than with a fixed-size page and scrollable right panel.

In any case I agree with @stone.defender’s insistence that the design should prioritize making the goban use up as much screen space as possible.

2 Likes

In the portrait view that important stuff can scroll off screen. Why is it locked to taking up such valuable vertical space in this case?

I didn’t even know we had “mobile landscape”.

I very much doubt whether anyone looks at that layout much at all when tweaking, out of sheer ignorance that it’s a thing affecting people.

As ever, what are the details of the enviroment that causes that?