Games we made

Possibly my most-ever-used game was a play-by-email implementation of a beautiful pencil and paper game called originally called “Waving Hands”.

I believe that my play-by-email implementation was the first computer-based implementation of the game, although it is listed second here.

(History is also an interesting thing. I definitely wrote to Richard Bartle asking permission put the game live, and my recollection is that he replied, although his description on that page is one of suprise finding implementations).

I was quite proud of my Perl implementation, which was the first Perl code I think I’d written that was readable and maintainable :slight_smile: (Perl coders will understand the sheer restraint that this involves)

It ran as FireTop Mountain for about 20 years on Richard Rognlie’s PBEM Game Server before finally the old version of Perl it was on no longer ran.

This is a beautiful game because of the tactical complexity that emerges from simple rules.

I was very happy of the elegant way in which I was able to render the gameplay into nice-to-read English in emails that the players received (this was a time before real-time games were feasible online), kind of matching the elegant spirit of the rules.

I think if you take a look, you’ll likely appreciate the ruleset - you may even be able to find a live server to try it out. Please remember to return to playing Go some time, if you do that :wink:

4 Likes