Games we made

It’s called “assembler” in English.

1 Like

I was once hospitalised for three weeks and obsessively played Tetris to pass the time, but I never found the perfect Tetris application. So I made my own implementation twice, once with Java and later again using Godot:

What I like about it, is that it speeds up less rapidly than most of the ones I can find online, so that you have a lot more time to think (which makes mistakes a lot more painful, since it’s you doing that, not the time pressure). Also, it has a 180 degree rotation button, and I have the rotation buttons on “Q”, “W” and “D”, making them a bit more ergonomic for my left hand.

For a course in Objective Programming a friend and I once made a game about launching a particle in a vector field, using Java. It looks like this:

Screen-Recording-2022-01-03-at-1 (1)

I guess my first “game” was one I created on a TI-84-Plus graphical calculator in high school. Once the program was launched, it would fill up the screen with “hahaha” and “[error]” at random locations, and it could only be stopped by turning the calculator off, if I remember correctly. I would try to get my friend’s calculator unnoticed, remove their very useful “ABC-formula” program and replace it with my one (conveniently also called “ABC-formula”) and then wait until they needed it.

9 Likes

This reminds me of the old times when I was studying engineering.

In the IT lab there were few brand new 8088 PC, two floppy drives, no hd.

People used to play Tetris instead of studying. :grin:
I did that too, but things were going out of control, so with a friend of mine we started hacking a bunch of DOS disks, replacing the “echo” command with “tetris” instead.
We were simply replacing six bytes inside command.com file using a cool editor called “pc tools”. The string "ECHO " was replaced by “TETRIS” and that was enough to change the behaviour of OS: when someone typed “tetris” the OS responded “Tetris is enabled” but the program didn’t start! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
You could then type “tetris off” to get “tetris is disabled” and “tetris on” to get "tetris is enabled " again. You were just enabling and disabling screen echo and the game didn’t start anyway. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Someone got a headache because of that.
Leaving our modified DOS on an active PC was enough to avoid people playing tetris on that machine.

Eventually someone found out that resetting the PC with a standard DOS was solving the problem.
Someone else noticed that writing the full pathname was working too: “A:\tetris” could not be mistaken for an OS command.
So our little hacking went quickly out of fashion, but I still remember it fondly. :wink:

((( or was it VERIFY command??? )))

6 Likes