Geoff Kaniuk's referee exercises

What if the taisha is printed on the back of some other player’s T-shirt?

6 Likes
  1. Make taisha shirt
  2. Goad opponent into taisha
  3. File cheating accusation

ez win

7 Likes
  1. Make taisha shirt with mistake variation
  2. Goad opponent into taisha
  3. Profit!
9 Likes

Behold, the difference between dan and kyu.

5 Likes

Don’t force me to introduce a “no joseki t-shirts” rule in the British Championship :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Two years ago, when I played my first AGA tournament. In a game, my opponent left for restroom break twice. When he came back, I pointed to where I played. Now that I am a much “better” player, in my next tournament, I will play a ko threat right after my opponent leaves and spend all “his” time thinking about my next move. Ofc, I will not tell him where I played.

1 Like

Consider that God will.

Noob. Those are rookie rule exploits. An advanced one is playing 2 moves when your opponent leaves the board, one in an obvious place given the previous moves, and one sneaky ko threat in another part of the board. When they return helpfully point out the obvious one and hope they don’t realise the extra move. If play continues for 3 moves then AGA rules count this as them accepting your double move. Once play quitens down you then follow up on your double move ko threat for free profit. This flaw in the rules was one reason a friend of mine was opposed to the introduction of AGA rules to Britain a decade ago.

6 Likes

Or I can play the ko threat and still stare at my opponent’s last move, hoping he does not realize his clock is running. :joy:

On the serious note, is that considered common courtesy to let your opponent know where you played in this case?

Yes, I’d say it’s not seen as belittling your opponent like saying atari or check. But if opponent’s body language makes clear they saw my move I won’t say it. If there’s no clock then the polite thing to do is wait for them to return before playing (same when black in a simul). But with a clock you shouldn’t need to burn down your time because they want a break so play as soon as you want. Of course you can play a cheap sente to gain some clock benefit, but be careful about playing bad moves to game the clock, I’ve done that in important matches.

3 Likes

Eh, battles can be hard. When I was reading out a complicated sequence my opponent straight up took one of the stones from the board, and I didn’t even notice. “Wow, this is so easy” I thought.

You can find some go fouls in Korean since they’re rather strict with rules.

First one is good.

2 Likes

What an strange rule… Reminds me of the Carlsen - Inarkiev game, where Inarkiev claimed victory for Carlsen making a move after failing to notice that in the prior move Inarkiev had ignored a check.

3 Likes

I suppose the intent is that you should complain about problems promptly, not wait for 100 moves later when you are losing and then what about that potential infringement I let slide ages ago sour grapes mess. But the problem here is continuing is implied but not informed consent due to not seeing the double move.

I have a feeling playing online a lot doesn’t help one to recognise whether the opponents move is actually legal, given that servers likely won’t let you submit an illegal move (unless playing something like shogi).

Look like in person online game is the way to go. Every move is clearly tracked and can not be manipulated. This can potentially solve the problem of finding indoor space hosting the tournament as long as two players stay together. In the case both agree or trust each other, they don’t have to.

We can also wear headphone to clearly hear the byo yomi voice instead of dealing with that 19 century clock etc etc etc.

I’m reminded of a certain high-level professional game played last century in Japan. I’ve forgotten the players but I wouldn’t be surprised if you know you they were. I have a feeling that one of them was Otake.

Player A had said to Player B that they should begin the dame filling; B had not responded. During the dame filling, A made a careless move that resulted in B being able to cut off some of A’s stones. A protested that the dame filling phase had begun and B claimed that he hadn’t heard A, being somewhat deaf.

The relation to your comment is that, in the discussion that took place, B claimed that A had, earlier in the game, moved a stone and that B hadn’t complained.

@bugcat do you mean Takemiyas teire incident in 1993 fujitsu cup?

https://senseis.xmp.net/?Fujitsu1993TeireIncident

1 Like

No, it was a different case, I think.

Here’s a referee exercise based on a report I just tried to resolve.

Both players passed at the following board position:

Then they disagreed over the status of the groups. White claimed that Black was dead, Black claimed that they were alive, and asked White to prove that Black was dead, upon which White played H8 and self-atari’d their big group.

As a consequence White now claims the situation is seki (and wanted the game to be annulled, since they were forced to capture a seki).

Neither player seems to realise that the bottom right Black group is dead.

3 Likes