Getting frustrated about getting frustrated?

Don’t worry. My comments in this thread were hardly non-confrontational. :smiley:

1 Like

I guess we have different ideas about sportsmanship.

I think that every sport has its own ideas about sportmanship … for example football/soccer which you mentioned earlier considers quite normal for the players to be ecstatic after scoring a goal and quite normal for the crown to be on its feet and shouting during the whole game.

Here is a typical derby football crowd in Greece:

On the other hand, tennis is a much more reserved sport and the “accepted” reactions of the players and the crowd are much more subdued. No excessive celebrations for each point and the crowd is supposed to stay silent while a point is being contested (they can clap in between the points).

Here is a typical Wimbedon tennis crowd:

Both of them are quite within the limits of what is “good sportsmanship” behaviour within the framework set by the nature of those two sports.

Also important for defining what is acceptable is the occasion of the game, as well as the opponents and stakes involved. Noone will go out to the streets and celebrate Olympiacos managing to tie Totenham in the recent Champions League game, but the whole country was out in the streets cheering when Greece got the European cup in 2004, and that was normal for one of the most surprizing victories in football, ever. Millions of people where out in the streets and noone thought that such a thing was unsportsmanslike …

So, in that regard, I’d say that a casual game of chess between a 16-year old and a 12-year old kid has quite a lot of leeway in the expression of emotions especially when the score is approximately 3945 to zero and the side with zero wins finally makes it … frankly, I do not think that my jumping up and down in that case reflects on my general disposition of what “good sportsmanship” is supposed to be, neither at that point in time, nor now 23 years later :slight_smile:

So, I guess that my point is that defining what is good sportsmanship, is quite a complicated matter …

P.s.

One could argue that what is “good sportsmanship” within the same sport can even vary from country to country.
This is an NBA playoffs crowd:

And this is an equally important Euroleague game:

Honestly, if the atmosphere is not like that in the derbies, then that is actually bad sportsmanship because being civil means that the opponents are not important enough to yell at them … odd, I know, but in a weird way, quite logical …

1 Like