Glicko entry points and new players

Suite du sujet I think the 13k default rank is doing harm [Closed] :

I took time to read the following answers and what I noticed is that for a certain number of them it doesn’t start from offering a new system to attract and keep beginners but instead to mitigate the effect of crushing strike for the very few full beginners we have.
iMHO that’s a wrong perspective, that’s not the way to keep newcomers by not considering their fun because you know there are so few around here.

There are already confusion from some who think that losing a lot is a fatality inherent to the game. Although they survived and kept interest, they didn’t realize by their own experience that if they were matched to same level players, they could have enjoy early wins along their discovery of go.

I may go further in this elitist test where only the bravest may earn the right to be a go player. That could be linked to a western culture value in which you have to suffer to get some positive progress in life. Not sure that is what new to the game are searching on internet.

There are some nice proposition in this 2018 thread already which appear here again, but then the debate turned mostly about the humble rank as the magic answer.

The “are you a beginner?” button was already suggested but disappeared pretty quickly out of the debate.

A beginner found a solution. Lost all his games with a bot to get his ranking adjusted. Can’t we propose better experience? Or if not, let’s bring a pop up with this elegant solution

Small note: 13k beginner with high or low confidence just doesn’t exist. A 13k is politely said not that strong but still much stronger as a beginner.

4 Likes