Go is better than chess because

I think this is also an important factor why, despite its vastly higher mathematical complexity than chess, humans can play go at a high level. Before Alpha Go a common question was “why is go so hard for computers?”, with the usual 2 answers being the big board and branching factor leading to high game tree and state complexity, and the difficulty of making a good evaluation function. But I like to flip this question on its head and instead consider it as “why is go so easy for humans?”. Given the huge number of possibilities that even super fast computers can’t conquer, how is it that humans with far inferior ability to consciously enumerate positions when reading could be stronger than the best computer program after just a year of playing. My answer to that is because go stones don’t move but build up, it’s much easier to read ahead 50 moves in Go than chess and reading can be reused in non-overlapping independent chunks, and coupled with the strong subconscious visual and pattern recognition skills that human brains have been trained for over thousands of years go actually ends being a far more tractable problem for humans than you would mathematically expect.

16 Likes