Go is better than chess because

I like indisputable, hard arguments.
I’m going to use this. :+1:

2 Likes

The name is shorter, black goes first, the pieces don’t move, it has a neat lexicon, it is easier to play with paper and pencil, it’s easier to explain the rules, it takes longer (so you can kill more time). I think I’m forgetting something… :wink:

6 Likes

Is the goal part of the rules? Because in that case I may disagree.

To fit with 2020 way of life, glass go stones are easier to keep safe from virus as woodcarved chess materials.

3 Likes

Go is more abstract but more importantly Go is more creative… In chess you battle with pre set pieces trying to out manoeuvre your opponent to kill their pieces and claim more control of the board for an easier win… go has the same elements of battle, trying to claim territory and kill your opponent but unlike chess where the players in the war are pre decided Queen, bishop etc… In Go you have to battle with the shapes of your own creation. You have to create the instruments with which you will do battle. Will you build a framework?
Or play for territory? Will you build defensive shapes or plan for an attack? One stone at a time the shapes take form, will it be a tigers mouth or a one space jump? Will it connect? Or cut? This creativity in the fight is what (in my opinion) makes go more difficult than chess and also more beautiful. I can’t think of other games that merge an absolute and bloody fight with such creativity and freedom.

11 Likes

Or shall the board game members make peace?

4 Likes

Proof by contradiction:

Assume that chess is way better than go. This implies 0 = 1, a contradiction.
Q.e.d.

2 Likes

Stones

1 Like

I think we should think of chess more as ally than a competitor or even an enemy.

We can learn (steal) a lot from how well chess organises things. For example, they seem to do a much better job with getting schools to start a chess programme and they have standard courses for teacher certifications at various levels.

7 Likes

Please specify which regions of the world you are talking about.

As I understand it, chess is more popular in “western countries”, but go is more popular in asian countries. I believe go is well-organized in asian countries.

3 Likes

I’m talking about the West (more specifically The Netherlands), because that is the context most of us find ourselves in.

I have participated in a few “Teach the Teachers” seminars in the EGCC in recent years, where Eastern teachers showed how they do things. Indeed go is much better organised in the East. But I think it’s a bit difficult to transfer their way of doing things, because of cultural and practical differences between East and West.

But we can learn from both Eastern go and Western chess.

4 Likes

Popularity has nothing to do with quality of organization. I don’t want to go off-topic too much but to take China and some western European countries, amateur organization is much better… In Europe (speaking of tournaments, clubs, public schools)
In China they have private schools because weiqi is still popular for educating the children, and rating tournaments for a bonus for studies, and that’s all. Ama tournaments, clubs with activities like simultaneous games or workshops… That’s belong much more to the western world.

Now back to topic, it’s an argument I met myself too with a few chess players who were really convince that their game was just far away on the top of weiqi. So it’s not really a war but sometimes you may like to get some argument on your side too.

3 Likes

I disagree. Where I live, which is the city of Graz in Austria, there is one go club, and in contrast there are several chess clubs.

We (in the go club) have tried to spread the go community in graz. While there are regularily people who want to learn and try out go, not many keep playin regularily.

Once a year we organize a tournament in graz. While one might argue that our “quality of organization” is good, what we do is just not enough to actually grow the go community. The chess clubs have more money to work with, and as a result they are able to organize more events etc.

In conclusion, I argue that chess is better organized where I live, and part of the reason is that chess is more popular here, which results in more incentive to organize events etc. in the first place.

3 Likes

Maybe it depends on the region, but in The Netherlands it’s not a lack of money really. It’s more a lack of people who are able and willing to invest their time into organisational work.

The Dutch go association has somewhere between 500 and 600 members (slowly declining from almost a 1000, decades ago), but only a few dozen of those are involved in some organisational work. Most go players just want to play go and socialize a bit with fellow go players.

3 Likes

My lowly opinion: this seems to be treated like a bad thing, but if it were promoted like a good thing, maybe it would create the necessary boost to take things to the next level. It would be a natural development, instead of trying to create pro Go popularity where there isn’t fun Go popularity.

6 Likes

Not really a commentary on the games themselves, but I find that the Go community is by far one of the nicest and most polite communities surrounding any game I’ve played online. Chess ethics are fine in person, but the online version tends towards standard toxic internet garbage. Internet Go ethics and culture in terms of wishing your opponent a good game at the start and thanking them at the end are head and shoulders above pretty much everything else.

I play and enjoy both games for different reasons. I prefer blitz chess to blitz Go and long Go games to long chess games. Chess is far more brutal of a game than Go, which probably describes both of those preferences.

8 Likes

4emqm4

Full disclosure: I’m a horrible chess player.

27 Likes

I like both game and decent at it, but i had more fun with IGO and i think GO community is far welcome towards beginners(yet), i’ve seen Chess stream once when a beginner get crushed by one of his viewer and yet they won’t teach nor review their games just “laugh” and left the streams, meanwhile i seen GO players give constructive advices and reviews, some even gave them free lectures to GO beginner steamer, also forgive me if iam wrong but 5 years in Chess online community i saw some of them seems a bit entitled compared to its GO counterparts. Well… maybe iam just biased but that’s what I’ve seen

edit: I also kinda agree with Leidang’s Post

edir 2 : I suddenly remember some funny story when i was 15. I was Playing chess with some acquaintance around or maybe younger than me, he was rage because losing, so i try to give him a queen handicapped, well good thing it was not end up as embrassment and yet hes still doesn’t feels satisfied and want another game but this time i also need to gave him my knight(well he’s an–a well you know…), it was tough and i almost end up losing but good thing it was draw, this is made me thinking:
Can’t i win if all of my strong/major pieces are removed? Why can’t i removed the king? wasn’t i the king? so who actually am i on this board? Why should i protect the king while i am not even part of his vassal?

In GO every single pieces are same it doesn’t have so called personality because your personality is reflected in your game.

It is not because “special” pieces that made you won the war, everything is your hands.

And i found Go is kinda more beautiful and artistical compared to chess

And that’s why i am kinda lost interests on chess at times, i still like Playing it tho whenever i can

12 Likes

There are actually real reasons:

1. White has a huge first move advantage in chess. “White should play to win, black should play to draw.”
  2. An enormous amount of games are drawn.

However, this is only a problem with Western chess (and, to a slightly smaller extent, Chinese chess).

It is not a problem with Shogi, where sente and gote have nearly equal chances of winning and very few games are drawn.

9 Likes

Less rules. More options. More intuitive. Higher skill ceiling. More natural feeling. Less convoluted.

3 Likes

Why is a problem, though? If the game rules allow it and it’s a natural conclusion for a number of games, why is it “bad”?

Would you like to elaborate on that? I’m not picking a fight, I really don’t get what that means.