Go Memes! šŸ§

Yes, what exactly IS the difference? Things like memes have always looked like captioned pictures to me.

Mogadeet

1 Like

If you want to get real technical, a comic strip is a type of meme, as a meme is defined by: ā€œan element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.ā€ which is true for a comic stripā€¦

3 Likes

Imo what makes a meme a meme is [that it is] recycleable, which means it can be taken out of context and applied to a variety of things. In that sense a comic strip (or a part of it) can be a meme, but isnt one to begin with (just like a picture or a movie scene isnt a meme). but ofc memes can often take the form of a short comic strip.

if that made sense :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Playstyles.

DYkGVia

33 Likes

i think pro players are quite like re living a second childhood while studying master or zeroā€™s moves ^^ :slight_smile:

That is of course the original definition of a meme. However, the internet, and facebook in particular, has put itā€™s own twist on it, and these days ā€œon the internetā€ a meme is typically a single picture with a caption that changes the original meaning of the picture into a relatable experience or exclamation.

As with all words with multiple meanings, which one applies is mostly context.

By the original definition of the meaning, Calvin and Hobbes comics are far more of a meme than anything posted here. However, if you asked someone looking at a computer why they are giggling, and they said ā€œOh, look at this funny memeā€, you would not expect to go over and be looking at a comic strip.

FWIW.

GaJ

4 Likes

The late Italo Calvino wrote a fascinating novel about the use of Tarot cards as, essentially, memes. The Castle of Crossed Destinies tells of a group of stranded travelers, magically struck mute in a mysterious castle, who use Tarot cards to tell their individual stories. In an afterword, Calvino says he had considered writing another story on this idea, but employing comic strips.

It was Richard Dawkins who invented the original word in his book The Selfish Gene. They are the cultural analogies of our biological genes and thanks to the internet, spread like a virusā€¦ Here he eloquently evacuates on the subject:

4 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s the original definition I referred to. Itā€™s probably Dawkinā€™s most scientific legacy. I suspect heā€™ll be remembered for that long after his views on religion are forgotten. Itā€™s so elegant and manifestly true.

Unless Iā€™m mistaken, the idea first reached popular awareness through his book ā€œThe Selfish Geneā€.

Itā€™s interesting how the ā€œinternetā€ definition evolved from that - and this process itself is a meme!

That process being:

An observation: ā€œthese funny captioned picture we share on the internet that make each other laugh are a type of memeā€
(true)

-> ā€œmemeā€ means ā€œthese funny captioned pictures we share on the internet to make each other laughā€

(not originally the case, but effectively the case, in that context)

GaJ

2 Likes

26 Likes

The classic teasuji.

Unless this counts as a non-memeā€¦

23 Likes

Sure that AG is so far ahead of Fine Art?

Also, AFAIK wolves do it differently ā€¦ the slower/older ones would be further ahead, making the pace for all, and the leader of the pack behind so that he can watch the whole pack.

6 Likes

niiiice ^^ :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the SpongeBob fans.

26 Likes

Just let him have itā€¦ itā€™s only 8 points so youā€™d still have B + 10 (minus komi)

I believe the confusion lies in understanding the definition of a meme. Their is the popular easily identifiable format of a mame. (Image + caption) but this is not the definition of a meme. A meme is like a social life form which is composed of information. It could be of audio format. Like, for example the quote from ā€œCool Hand Lukeā€. ā€œWhat we have here. Is a failure to communicateā€. This is a meme as well. But, I am with you a comic strip is not a meme. A meme is brief and well recognized. You arenā€™t going the revisit a popular meme with your friend by saying ā€œYour remember that four frame comic strip about go?ā€ But if at an opportune moment you said something silly like ā€œLuke, Iā€™m your fatherā€ that would be a meme.

Thank you for your patience during my rant.

2 Likes

Actually, ā€œtechnical memesā€ (IE memes according to Dawkinā€™s definition) do not have to be brief. But a successful meme will be well recognised by the culture it is relevant to.

So for example, a native dance is a very complex thing, but it is a meme, because it is ā€œpassed by imitation or other non-genetic meansā€.

So are the works of Shakespere - these are highly successful memes that have survived generations of humans.

On the other hand, internet memes are typically brief and well recognised, both. And donā€™t tend to last long either.

GaJ

5 Likes

The topic of this thread is Go memes, not a discussion on what constitutes a meme vs a comic strip. Letā€™s stay on topic folks.

4 Likes

(Alphago meme: hit the 3! Thats a go meme!)

12 Likes

Needs a sentence in the picture though :sweat_smile:

Something like :
Me doing this : "typical DDK mistakeā€¦"
AlphaGo doing this : ā€œoh indeed itā€™s a brilliant move !ā€

2 Likes