Go Memes! šŸ§

16 Likes

8 Likes

When I see my opponentā€™s rank go up after I beat them: plop

3 Likes

It depends on whether the goal is to improve oneself or to humiliate others.

2 Likes

I thought it implied that my own rank would lower after that win, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve yet seen a game after which both playersā€™ ranks went up

2 Likes

Movement in a playerā€™s rank does not depend on the most recent game alone. It is based on a moving window of the most recent 15 games. Consequently, it is quite possible for both players to go up or down, because their 15-game windows are different from each other. The movement of your opponentā€™s rank does not affect the movement of your rank.

4 Likes

I thought that was what was supposed to happen but then the rank system kinda broke?

2 Likes

The system was never broken per se. The problem was that lots of players, especially people new to the server, did not understand the occasional inverse movement of rank. So the developer recently tweaked the system to eliminate that; however, the tweak didnā€™t work. There is another thread that discusses this in considerable detail, which is where this discussion actually belongs. (Iā€™m blushing for being so off-topic.)

11 Likes

17 Likes

14 Likes

Discussions about the ranking system on OGS always boil down to this :stuck_out_tongue:

22 Likes

*directly
If there would be no relation, rank inflation/deflation would be real bad.

4 Likes

No school like old school.

2 Likes

Get your screenshot tools. It is meme Christmas with that 1 minute video :smiley:

14 Likes

13 Likes

beachpower

4 Likes

4lwq1g

7 Likes

16 Likes

If this table is to be believed, then OGS ranks more or less reflect the ranks of the European Go Federation: https://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison

I think this is a great thing. At least when I play with people IRL we can more or less start off with the correct handicap (a lot of them are officially ranked, Iā€™m not).

1 Like

Sadly this table is severely outdated. Itā€™s approximately accurate for before OGSā€™ ranking system upheaval in 2016.

1 Like