Go Zendo

Translating a known red board one step down, removing some liberties:

untitled (21)

1 Like

This position?

untitled (5)

1 Like

ooh, interesting. Haven’t thought of that, frankly, but I wrote my rule down to be sure of the wording, and this here does indeed apply.

1 Like

Red?

untitled (6)

1 Like

still green

Interesting, this was red but when the white stone is one higher it’s green.

1 Like

And now it’s red?

untitled (7)

1 Like

I’ll throw out a guess: the green boards are those where there is a 2x2-region with a single black stone and a single white stone, not directly adjacent to each other. (i. e. a shoulder hit shape)

I have a guess, but I’ll hide it so I don’t spoil the fun.

My guess

There must be at least one shoulder hit that has not been responded to.

Edit: Basically the same thing. le_4TC beat me by a few seconds :laughing:

1 Like

All boards formed by this rule are green, but there are more.

1 Like

I’ll declare it solved, since all guesses you come up with under these rules will be green. Well done, guys.

My wording is: a black stone or chain and a white stone or chain touch just diagonally.

Wait, isn’t this equivalent to le_4TC and RubyMineshaft’s rule?

I think it shouldn’t be declared solved if we’ve only found a subset of the green, but I believe your rule is what I meant. Perhaps “single black stone” was misleading, I meant that it was the single black stone in that 2x2-region. Clearly there are multiple examples in the boards we’ve tried where the chains touching are larger than one stone :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

ah yes, single black stone in 2x2. That’s right!

1 Like

It’s important to distinguish stones and chains. A stone can be part of a larger group of stones or be it’s own chain.

2 Likes

I mean, this is fine too

4 Likes

Ah, my rule doesn’t quite cover this one.

Nice rule! I had no idea for a while, and then suddenly it clicked while staring at all the boards at once.

1 Like

Alright. But if eventually all players only produce green forms, but only using sub-rules, the game has come to an end until the Master makes further input.

The players should guess a rule, and the master should provide a counter-example. In this case, your board above would have been a counter-example to @RubyMineshaft’s suggestion, right? Then we go on looking for the correct rule.

I think it’s nice to provide counter-examples in both directions if possible (like I did once for the second game). If you can only provide a counter-example in one direction, you can let the player’s know that they found a subset/superset of the green boards.

5 Likes