Go Zendo

Rule guess: When a White chain touches a Black chain, they must have the same number of liberties.

Do you allow positions that have an unequal number of White stones and Black stones? I guess it would be hard to prove that they cannot occur in a go game, since there could have been captures.

2 Likes

Koan_22

Good guess, but here are (additional) counter-examples:

Koan_23
Koan_25

Yes, I just require that all chains have at least one liberty.

With passes allowed, I believe all such positions can be reached in a normal go game, even without captures. With passes not allowed, that could be an interesting question. But a question for another thread :wink:

2 Likes

Symmetry broken?

1 Like

Differences I can spot:

Black/White reversed
Rotated 90ā€™
4 stone chain starting on 4,3 vs 5,2

None of which I can tie into the other koans we have seen

5 Likes

Iā€™d try to undo some of those changes to create another red koan, we still havenā€™t produced one on our own.

2 Likes

Hypothesis: White is always in the minority when touching black chains.

More precisely: if you count the stones in a white chain and the stones in all black chains touching this white chain, then either you have counted more black stones than white stones, or the white chain is not touching any black stones at all.

3 Likes

Sounds like 14 and 25 should be of the same color, but they arenā€™t?

2 Likes

Not sure if it is the same, but allow me to rephrase it in a simpler manner:

ā€œIf you eliminate all the black and white chains that touch each other, there are more (or equal) white stones left than black stonesā€

3 Likes

Alternatively, I think this is what @ArsenLapin1 meant:

ā€œThere are more (or equal) black stones in chains touching white, than white stones in chains touching blackā€

Anyway, Iā€™ll submit another guess

4 Likes

Koan_27

1 Like

Can I ask for a counterexample?

alright, here are counter examples:

Koan_28
Koan_30

1 Like

I suspect you use Katago to count the liberties, and so the count is wrong when there is a large circular group!

Here are two variations on the koans, just to see how changing a small detail affects the result:

Koan_33Koan_34

2 Likes

Koan_35
Koan_37

2 Likes

Hmmm :thinking:

3 Likes

Ah yeahā€¦

Hmmmā€¦ :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

Donā€™t tell me you want a hint already :nerd_face:

Another small variation

Koan_42

Edit: As we wait for confirmation of this one, Iā€™ll add some musings : All koans so far except #25 would obey the rule that black must have more or equal number of liberties of any chains in contact with white.

This canā€™t be the rule since it has already been falsified, but it seems to come close, so I thought Iā€™d pursue a variation of #25 and see if we get any clarity.

2 Likes

Koan_44

1 Like