Go Zendo

d’oh

ok i get it now.

Can someone guess it then? Or do I have to wait until everyone got the answer?

2 Likes

I don’t get it.
:face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ll guess it then, since @mafidufa was the one who requested to not be spoiled, and they got it now.

I think it was a good initiative from @Feijoa to not immediately share their guess, but to let others have the chance to come up with it by themselves. It’s also a fun game to then try to construct good clues in the form of pairs of koans like @Feijoa did. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this in future games! But I understand if some players also prefer to move on as quickly as possible after someone has figured it out.

Rule guess

There is a black and a white stone which are exactly a knight’s move apart.

8 Likes

Correct!

6 Likes

How did you get the 8x8 boards? :hushed: I thought only sizes 5, 7 and 9 were available.

3 Likes

Arrrrrh

I actually considered this at some point but I rejected it because of koan 113. I was only looking for

Summary

knight’s move with two empty intersections between the white stone and the black stone.

4 Likes

Aww, suddenly everything makes sense!

1 Like

I didn’t feel the wish to move on after somebody had the answer, but I refrained from posting more Koans or discussion, to not ruin the challenge for others.

I did have a vague idea that white and black stones need to be somewhat close, but there were plenty of red Koans that seemingly satisfied this, and I just didn’t have the right idea.

3 Likes

Haha, similar thinking here. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes
My thought process

Looking at all the green koans I thought I saw a lot of bamboo joints. Then I realized I was looking at bamboo joints with opposite colors, and also 100 was a counterexample. So, considering what 100 had in common with the others, I thought of simplifying it to just a keima approach.

Then looking them all over again this comment was particularly amusing:

Since just checking it was pretty hard, I assumed that was a secret joke about how carefully Vsotvep had to construct it. I didn’t realize he had a new Go variant in mind!

Turns out that was just a UI limitation, and RubyMineshaft made it easy enough. Open the console and type:

setSize(8)

I don’t quite understand how this tool works though. Is there a way to copy the image without changing its number? Also can we somehow reset the numbers to start a new game?

I have a rule in mind if/when we’re ready for another one.

4 Likes

:grin:

The tool works in mysterious ways :smile:

I believe @RubyMineshaft introduced the id:s for the sole purpose of being able to quickly reload koans (which the master needs to do often, and which the guessers might also want to do to slightly modify earlier guesses).

When you press “Save and copy”, a new koan id is always created. This means that when the “Master” loads a gray koan and marks it green/red, the revealed koan will have a different id compared to the guess (and the new one will be green/red when you load it).

Would it be more convenient for gameplay (and referring back to earlier koans) that the site only stores information about the board position, and not koan color? And have a way for the Master to save a colored image without needing to change the id?

I’m not sure, but perhaps @RubyMineshaft could make those changes quite easily if that would indeed be preferable :slightly_smiling_face:

As for resetting the id:s between the games, I think it works fine to continue building on the same sequence of id:s (maybe once we get into the millions we can request a reset for convenience :grin:).

2 Likes

I guess the easiest change that would help would be the addition of a “copy” button that doesn’t save or increment anything. Hmm, maybe I can find that in the code myself…

EDIT: Yes, I just have to edit this function:

function keyPressed() {
	if (key == "q") setGray();
	if (key == "w") setGreen();
	if (key == "e") setRed();

if (key == "s") saveCanvas();
	if (key == "c") copyImage(); // copies without saving
}

Then the “c” key copies without saving:

image image

3 Likes

Great! Then I think you can start the new game right away :smiley:

Okay, here we go!

Green:
image image image image image image image image image image image image

Red:
image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

7 Likes

Conjecture: Black has no eyes.

1 Like

Define “eye”. (Is the region to the right of black in 144 not an eye?)

2 Likes

I’d like to check the color-inverted versions first:
imageimage

2 Likes

A connected set of empty intersections of maximal size touching only stones of one colour.

I’d like to change my conjecture to ‘neither colour has any eyes’, considering @antonTobi 's query.

2 Likes