Green go stones?

No, not at all, in my experience, probably because they’re not smooth/slick but rather a little rough (very fine though), so I have a good grip on them.

2 Likes

I like the black and white on colonial maple. Your comment on the interaction between stain and wood colors was interesting. By the way, your rug under the goban looks almost identical to one at my 89-year-old father’s house.

1 Like

Epidote is another green mineral that often looks black when it has modest thickness. Has that been used for stones? I believe it can be used in lapidary work. Also, black hematite has a spectacular luster and is often used in lapidary work. Are stones ever made of that?

1 Like

Well I’m only 31 so thanks :joy:

I’m quite sure that in these stones it was Jade that’s been used (except if the former owner has been cheated. Only thing I know is that Jade has been and still is used for Yunzi stones with green luster. Maybe they found tricks to do it cheaper while still pulling the money out of their customers’ wallet <shrug> but naïve as I am I prefer to believe that it’s Jade :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t mean for your stones. I was wondering whether epidote has ever been used for stones, because it would give a nice, lustrous black (or greenish black), and I think it is hard enough to be worked. Jade would be a natural material for stones because of its availability in China and its great tradition in the stone art (figurine) culture in China. I saw a tremendous exhibition of ancient jade figurines at the Smithsonian about 30 years ago—jade is a wonderful material.

2 Likes

Jade powder Integrated in the glass paste formula should Not be that expensive.

Now that formula is a secret ofc.

1 Like