Guess the person/ 20 questions

1. Was it an OS?
1 Like
  1. No.
1 Like

Remember that he has been mentioned on the forum, we should be able to severely narrow down the range of possibilities now

2 Likes

I was thinking we make a shortlist and proceed in binary. It was just too boring a thing to do hehe. But knowing it is someone who developed a programming language is already narrow enough.

Edit: I guess I was taking the AlphaGo approach: It doesn’t matter by how many questions you win, but that you increase the probability of winning.

2 Likes

On the contrary, see it as a highscore, if we can get him with the next question, we only needed 14 to find out who it is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Vsotvep Did he say on this forum or on these forums?

2 Likes

I suspect that he worked with either Conway or Berlekamp.

Did Donald Knuth ever develop a programming language? Is TeX a programming language?

2 Likes

I don’t think Fractran counts, that’s far too theoretical. In fact I didn’t even remember that, I don’t think people would usually just pull that factoid our of memory.

1 Like

But, sadly, it’s not Conway:

2 Likes

:cry: Too soon.

2 Likes

@Samraku, as clarification to question 12, do you consider TeX a programming language? If so, solve for Knuth

Because I can’t find any other candidates…

2 Likes

Hmmmm, I don’t think TeX qualifies as “used by almost everyone”. Html would though.

Edit: I might be wrong though. A lot of people have encountered PDFs in their lives.

1 Like

Yes, but HTML was developed by Tim Berners-Lee, who isn’t mentioned here. Also, if TeX is not a programming language, then HTML isn’t either.

2 Likes

I take forums to mean anywhere on any thread, is that what you mean as well?

2 Likes

Yes, I use the search function on the top bar to check, which goes through all posts, as far as I’m aware.

2 Likes

I guess Donald Knuth is the best guess here.

2 Likes
  1. Does he work at a college @Samraku ?
    Donald Knuth is a professer at stanford.
1 Like

I found a post that talks about Donald Knuth.

I would consider TeX a programming language, but if you don’t, Knuth did create MIX.

So you win, @Vsotvep! :smile:

And surreal numbers were the connection to John Conway I was thinking of.

1 Like

We’re doing whoever wins goes next right?

1 Like