Harsher punishment for different offences

Still teaching our mod team how to proceed?

I may suggest you to open a face to face go club so you will no more encounter cheating (very very rare and unusual) and face to face is so much more interesting.

In fact in face to face there are bit more opportunities as online. But you are at the mercy to become a local story forever. Once that player who tried to play 2 moves in a row in a tournament. How many times we laughed on this incredible attempt. (Easely detected and refuted by replaying or simply counting the stones)

I think from moderating standpoint, we are always too late to do anything but annull the game and then guide, warn or suspend the person who did something wrong. When something gets done, its always too late from the perspective of a player who is currently in the middle of scoring phase trying fighting against someone who’s scorecheating :<

So maybe some more automation is still needed so we could prevent the games getting scored incorrectly in the first place?

1 Like

One way to automate this is: after 5 scoring disagreements, the game is suspended and awaiting moderator adjudication.

7 Likes

I advocated long ago a freeze and wait the mod. I don’t remember why it was not something so interesting.

2 Likes

I like the idea — however, not being an active moderator on the game server, I do not know how feasible this is, i.e. how often this actually happens … if 100+ games would accumulate that way it probably wouldn’t work, maybe even if just a few dozen.

Sorry, but this isn’t always true, or at least doesn’t have to be true. I enjoy watching games at the DDK and weak SDK levels, and when I was moderating, I often scanned the overview for problems. Consequently, I frequently stopped cheating in progress by deciding the game. In addition, it is entirely possible to decide cheated games-in-progress if absolute priority is given to cheating reports. I and other mods succeeded in this on many occasions.

In the past several years, I have filed something in excess of 200 third-party reports (I haven’t updated my numbers in more than a year). Most of those were score-cheating incidents. Of that number, 5 games were saved by moderator decision by two now-retired mods (2 by one, and 3 by the other). Since their departure, no report of mine has been resolved by decision, which I attribute to lack of prioritization. Why that should be, if I am right, I do not know.

3 Likes

If you take suggestions hostilely as “teaching” then I suggest removing yourself from this discussion and the forum entirely as you can’t seem to accept opposing views and just want to surround yourself in an echo chamber.

I wonder who has trouble accepting opposing views. @Groin or @slaiyfer ?

There is no hostility when talking about teaching which i find to be quite appropriate word considering your contribution.
I did even make a proposition on my own between others looking to make things better.
Seems you enjoy to ban people as the ultimate solution?

Of course. Banning is the ultimate goal. It already is. You seem to think me enjoying it or not makes a diff. Find me a website where they only warn and never ban. You think infinite warnings with zero actual threats achieves anything?

I think some people have clarified here that there aren’t infinite warnings, and there are some situations where an account would be instabanned

3 Likes

Excited Wake Up - 26FxCOdhlvEQXbeH6

OK folks, be nice, will ya?

:wink:

Tired Duck - wsEX8uMrTRDoI

2 Likes

The harsher the punishment, the more unfair it is when it is mistaken. And there is no way to guarantee no mistakes.

4 Likes

Hm, I wonder if it would be possible for the devs to create something feasible to prioritise the order in which reports are shown to moderators, or have a specific “game in progress” queue/area to sort reports, with games which are still unfinished, especially if they are in a score-cheating or "stalling with useless moves’’ type report – this way moderation could see it instantly, or at least at the top of the queue in some visible way when they are logged in+checking.

(maybe even an extra indicator or something to that effect for “cheating/stalling/issues with games in progress”, indicating “live game cheating/issue in progress”, if that would help ?)

At the moment, it sounds like reports are often handled in the order they were received, which could lead to live score-cheating/stalling or other live-game issue type reports not being seen for a while if there are delays or a backlog.

5 Likes