Help, 23 kyu would like to get strong, but don't like playing losing games

If you want to do tsumego but can’t resist clicking through when doing electronic tsumego with an app, try doing some tsumego with paper or .pdf instead.

This website provides series of tsumego in .pdf format, without solutions: https://tsumego.tasuki.org/

The first series, “Cho’s elementary”, should be doable at your level. Every diagram is a tsumego. It is always black to play. There is no indication, just find the best move with Black (which usually means either kill white, or make black live).

If you print them, mark your answers on the sheet with a pen, then upload a picture in this thread, we can tell you which ones are correct and which ones are not. This way you won’t have the answers unless you find them by yourself.
To mark your answer on a diagram: mark “1”, “2”, “3” directly on the intersections, where 1 and 3 are black moves and 2 is a white move.
Of course you can use an image editing software or a pdf annotator software, instead of printing and using a pen then taking a picture.

Note: this series contain 900 problems, more or less arranged in order of difficulty. I suggest doing them in the order they are. Except for problems 26 to 34, which are much harder, so I suggest skipping those.

Edit: Oh. We’re five years later.

4 Likes

Anybody else gonna comment on that :fire: rhyme right there?
I can’t read that line without hearing some beats in my head :notes:

9 Likes

5 Likes

I gotta say this is better than the version in my head, the last three words in my version were boring eighth-eighth-quarter instead of triplets

And your beatbox notation is👍

3 Likes

By the way, the triplet came to me because in my experience tuplets are often perceived by the listener as “loose timing”, especially in voice performances and especially if performed without accents. And I think it’s a common rap trope to end a phrase by slowing down, kind of a musical “mic drop” :smiley:
As for the beatbox notation, since I invented it on the spot I was worried it might look stupid, so I’m glad you liked it :laughing:

2 Likes