Help Needed - How to Play Against Influence Style Players

Yeah in the sense that you can drag and drop the file into a thread reply, though it won’t be viewable, just downloadable.

E.g. it would look like here

(Though the first sgf is empty, probably something errored to stop it downloading properly)

You could try poking at their shape weaknesses, preferably earlier, but if you worry that you can’t win the game without infiltrating the center or by just reducing, it can still work at this point, considering this isn’t dan level.

There is an elephant’s eye on the left (Diagonal jump at Sensei's Library), a long-knight on the right (Cutting the ogeima at Sensei's Library) which is close to your strength poking its head out, there is a long-long knight on the bottom and 2 huge jumps on the top, not to mention the many knight moves(Cutting the Keima at Sensei's Library). Those all have weak points and your opponent needs to know how to handle them. You should at least make a last-ditch-effort and test your opponent about shape before you resign. It is hard to surround the center and kyu players often build thin walls they can’t handle.

3 Likes

I am at the same rank as OP and would be “fearful” of playing both sides of this kind of game.

However, I would play it out and doubt I would get a landslide lose rate, a 1k bot is still a 1k. Even if I lose more, I would say I don’t know how to play this particular player. I wouldn’t conclude I am bad at playing against certain style. Again, how much do we 1k players really know about play style? I would say near zero.

If your feeling and stats are solely based on games with this bot, I would say, just move on and don’t over analyze. Bot has no feeling, and might have an advantage when we have fears. I wouldn’t over analyze games with bots regardless.

If you constantly throw games easily like this one, your stats are naturally skewed. So if you have to find out, play 20 more games with this bot and make a rule never resign. Then come back update us the stats. :joy:

PS: it is a popular comments by chinese pros in dealing with this kind of situation: just throw a stone in the middle.

1 Like

@drifterwolf Thanks for the comment! I noticed (not just from bot games but overall) that a significant weakness of mine is managing weak groups, and in these kinds of games I sort to have to create weak groups by throwing stones in the middle with no certain way of living. That’s why I thought “I’m bad against influence players”.

Do you find managing weak groups hard as well? What did you do to improve on this?

Don’t think I am qualified to advise you. However, I can share what I learned, even though the progress is not as fast as expected.

In a chinese 7p I follow, he repeated emphasize the importance of the directional play at our level, to place the next move in the right area, but not worry about too much on exact location(not that it is not important, he just does not think at our level, we can get precise).

Here are the sequence he advises to consider: thickness/thinness, big/small point, light/heavy groups.

In other words, the first step is we establish the awareness of thick/thin and put this on the top priority. Note in his order, he put it before big points. Sort of like in opening, urgent point before the big one. I think lots of time, we just “forget” and are tempted by the big point moves.

In terms of specific learnings:

1. I plan to get a coach, though not yet.
  2. I watch streamers, those mid/high Ds, they talk about their thought process in the games. They will naturally mention why they ignore a big point and attack/defend instead. Very helpful in my opinion.
  3. I also watch reviews of games of my level by much stronger players of course. I can relay lots of mistakes.
  4. Self review with AI: I’ve seen many times AI repeatedly wants to play certain moves that are obviously small. Then they are likely attacking opponents weakness or defending our own.

This thing is difficult. Don’t stress out, just play. We will get better.

3 Likes

To go back on resign or not.
It’s a debate i leave to each of us, i just want to point out

1 resign yes!
Trying the impossible hurts your feeling and feeling matters. If you see life (points,aji,etc…) where there isn’t, you are not going to advance far away.

2 resign? No!
You need training to rescue, invade, finish the game. You need to learn to clunch a reverse of the situation, competitiveness through patience.

Your choice anyway, noone has to blame you.

1 Like

Cab you waste the time of an AI? :joy:

Depends on the AI and mostly not, but occasionally yes, for bots that are hosted online as opposed to running on your own computer. :slight_smile: It may cost a little bit of money to keep a bot running, and depending on the setup there can sometimes be tradeoffs on computational resources if more than one user wants to play with or test the same bot.