Hopeless kyu dies again - review request

That can happen, but did you and your opponent keep missing it for 60 moves?

for 63

5 Likes

Well, Iā€™ll be happy to reach my best as the worst of yā€™all. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

C10 is a fairly normal opening move. Itā€™s a big point.
Itā€™s not that C10 was such a bad move, it was the timing that was bad (or dubious at least). It violated the principle of ā€œurgent moves before big movesā€. The upper left corner area is an urgent area after white A.

White A is a non-joseki move, but deviating from joseki isnā€™t neccessarily a bad move. In this case whiteā€™s shape is a bit weaker than usual.
It doesnā€™t even matter much if you know that white deviated from joseki, as long as you realise that white A is putting pressure on blackā€™s corner group by blocking a potential escape route towards the upper side.

If white is allowed to follow up with B, blocking blackā€™s other escape route, blackā€™s corner group becomes completely sealed in and blackā€™s eye space is even quite restricted. Blackā€™s corner group would immediately be put on the back foot.
And when white is done harassing blackā€™s corner group, he can shift his attention to the next target: pressing blackā€™s now baseless C10 stone towards whiteā€™s C15-D15 wall, all the while keeping the initiative by harrasing blackā€™s unsettled groups.

So it is quite urgent for black to prevent white blocking at B and sealing black in (maybe even in sente). The natural way to prevent that is jumping out along the left side. C14 or B14 would do the job. And those moves would have the added benefit of also reducing any potential white might have been hoping for on the left side (just as I assume black intended with C10), killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

3 Likes

My idea was that because of the less pressure put by A on the corner, playing C10 looked a bit more like an alternative.

I agree that when white chose to focus on the upper side with A, itā€™s natural for black to focus on the left side. I assume that this was the aim of C10.
And C10 would be fine if whiteā€™s block at C15 wasnā€™t so severe.

1 Like

hope this helps. If you want more reviews in the future, Iā€™m always happy to help.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will read it carefully :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry if itā€™s a little messy. And I do think that you did well going against a player six ranks above you. white made his fair share of mistakes in that game too.

1 Like