How do you pronounce "OGS"?

OGS is an initialism and only oh-gee-ess (or another country’s names for those individual characters) is accepteptable, heretic! :wink:

3 Likes

I just stumbled across this account; https://online-go.com/player/605535/OGS_OGS

which begs the question…

• oh-gee-ess oh-gee-ess
  • oh-gee-ess ogs
  • oh-gee-ess ouges
  • ogs oh-gee-ess
  • ogs ogs
  • ogs ouges
  • ouges oh-gee-ess
  • ouges ogs
  • ouges ouges

0 voters

:smiley:

1 Like

What if they always call themselves “online go server online go server” or other related combinations?

Then his vote is invalid :smiley:

1 Like

Honestly, with the correct pronunciation of the letters in CARE, it’s should to be pronounced “sorry” by that logic.

And I love that XD

3 Likes

It occurs to me that there may be other ways to say GIF, and we didn’t even have a poll to figure it out!

How do you pronounce GIF?

• As an acronym with a hard G: like “gift” without the “T”
  • As an acronym with a soft G: like “JIF”
  • As an initialism: “gee eye eff”
  • I always say “graphics interchange format”
  • I always say “jiraphics interchange format”
  • Whatever pleases who I am talking to
  • Whatever annoys who I am talking to
  • Something else (please comment)

0 voters

4 Likes

Italian language has the soft G so it’s natural for me to say “jif”. :slightly_smiling_face:
To be pronounced like gif(t) we would put an extra H: ghif (just to add more confusion to the topic :grin:).

3 Likes

I always say “jiraphics interchange format”

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

We have a new contender!!!

9 Likes

Who knew that everyone who posts gifs were furries?

1 Like

Simple: “ogs”, like in “dogs” :grin:

Began doing so just recently, because I found it funny … usually I say “oh gay ess” (I’m German, and the “gay” part actually doesn’t really have closing “y”, but if I had written “geh” then you’d all prolly think it’s “jeh” :smiley: )

4 Likes

Did we already have this clip, this thread? It doesn’t really matter if we did - it’s so good it’s worth a repeat. Always makes me LOL…

(PS: I clicked the wrong option in voting by mistake, doh!)

4 Likes

I can’t disagree with anything in that animated meme :joy:

1 Like

I feel attacked and vindicated at the same time.

4 Likes

Damn, I also clicked the wrong option … didn’t read the question correctly :man_facepalming:

1 Like

For what is worth (two months later… happy new year by the way), I believe that pronouncing it like “ogues” because of a pun of personal significance is quite OK and unique.

2 Likes

a bit scary…

This thread was so interesting to read. Who knew people pronounced everything so differently?

4 Likes

Aw man, the new picture is this:

Is that an invitation?