How intuitive is OGS for new users?

ooooh that’s actually really clever :smiley:

To have to close it each time you use this page later? Not a so good idea.

No, only each time you sign in for the first time on a new device.

3 Likes

And when cookies get cleared out for some reason or other :joy:

IME this is quite rare, though you are correct and others probably experience it more frequently.

Maybe we could consider making it a desktop only feature, but at the end of the day it’s not that inconvenient to close a menu :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Bring the pitchforks, we riot.

7 Likes

Eh, people have rioted over less TBH :wink::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Don’t explain my jokes man :-/

1 Like

Did I? :thinking: :man_shrugging: sorry :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

i didnt know there was a hidden menu on the left until i saw it on a twitch stream.

also the top menu bar is cut off when the window is too small (i rarely go fullscreen with my browser) with no indication that there are more links available. for a while i didn’t know how to access my profile other than clicking on my own name in a chatroom.

also, when you cut off parts of a menu then you should order the entries by importance. ladders and the broken leaderboards are probably not more important than your own profile …

9 Likes

My own profile should be at the top of the list, it’s the page I use most by far.

The other one is the forum.

That’s the two quick access I put in my browser frontpage.

Of course different users may have other ways to use the site (I m using the chat very few for example)

3 Likes

It would be nice if players could customise the home page.

4 Likes

I still do that, more or less, clicking on my name somewhere (in notifications, or the home pages etc) . Even when OGS is almost fullscreen or fullscreen for me, it doesn’t show the profile button most of the time on most pages. I don’t bother opening the Hamburger menu to go down to profile.

Technically, if you click on some empty space on that top menu bar, you can use the tab button to tab across to the profile button. It’s still there it’s just hidden, and tabbing can bring it into view. I still don’t think it’s convenient.

2 Likes

Click the top right notification button, your name is there too (so your profile quick access)

1 Like

:slight_smile:

So maybe that “parameters for how your go set looks” button is in fact the most used in the interface?! :rofl:

2 Likes

That makes sense. In case the implementation is complicated (I’ve no idea), I also have some icon ideas (assuming just swapping the icon changes the thing, which may not be true):

menus

On another note, multiple hierarchical menus would make each menu shorter.

Example:

Games Gather Study Compete OGS User
Play
Watch
Chat
Forum
Group
Demo Board
SGF Library
Puzzles
Joseki
Tutorials
Tournaments
Ladders
Leaderboards
About
Doc
FAQ
Links
Support
Settings
Logout
5 Likes

I’m afraid to get 2 steps now to go to my profile. And 2 to go to forum.
But true the look is better.

I like that menu. Maybe “Social” instead of “Gather” would be a better menu title?

3 Likes

Or community?

4 Likes