How intuitive is OGS for new users?

That sounds like a really good idea.

The other options is to maybe have the help boxes be dismissible with like an ‘X’ and then have options to turn off all boxes or to reset the help boxes display.

Of course there should be a help box to point you to be settings where you can turn them off :slight_smile:

1 Like

Extended version is a guided tour of the site, with chapters,(playing a game, chat, find a friend etc… ) Which can be disabled or asked again whenever you need, like in many games (like in the Sims for example)

1 Like

I’m all for that.
There are just so many things to explore and so much that is not fully self-explanatory, so I think what OGS needs most to improve its usability would be a guided tour.

Imho, ideal would be a short version for people who just want to start a game asap, and an extended version that they can use as soon as they want to know more. Never too much text at once, of course.

And the FAQ should be easier to find.

3 Likes

Also the landing page for new users is the games page. I was definitly confused by this on my first visit to ogs. . . Maybe it would be nice for new users to be greeted with a welcome page, explaining what OGS is and how it works. New visitors to the site havent (I’ll wager) come OGS to watch mutiple ongoing live Go games. So why is that the first thing they see? . . Dont get me wrong its definitly a cool feature . … but I don’t think its what new visitors to the site need to see first.

6 Likes

I don’t like website tutorials and close them. I also skip browser update introduction. They always explain features I don’t care about at the moment. Play page with big button play is the best introduction.

When was the last time you followed a guided tutorial for website or browser?

3 Likes

I am generally the same way. Not to mention all the work it would take to create and maintain.

That said, I assume somebody uses the tutorials otherwise no one would make them!

1 Like

Well, that’s the best about such a guided tour: You can decide for yourself if you want to use it or not. :grin:

4 Likes

Click on OGS menu up, chose play. Then chose custom game. (You cannot play from here in the forum, you have to go back to the main site, you can do that by clicking on the online go just below the OGS button up, if you don’t see it, you need to scroll up to the beginning of the thread)

That’s my answer for someone asking in the forum how to create a game and I think it’s not so intuitive for a newcomer.

1 Like

@Groin; wrong thread?

1 Like

How wrong?

don’t state that it is wrong, just asking because I saw the same answer in another thread: Creating a private game - #6 by Groin

Yes I copied my answer there here because it’s a good example of a lost newcomer in the middle of the forum who decided to play.
And by trying to help him I saw how unintuitive is the way to go.

1. You have to guess that the forum is not the place to play
  2. You have to find the blue little link which disappear as soon as you scroll down.
1 Like

Okay, it is clear now. Good point to illustrate it.

You’ve heard of The Interactive way to Go Play Go Online Game - Cosumi and now we present, the Unintuitive way to Go Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS

4 Likes

No but sometimes I really feel it’s a pity, like we start a cleverness selection even before having read the rules of the game.

1 Like

With more explanatory texts like the one beneath, OGS would help new members developing their intuition on how OGS works much faster.

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-15 om 09.26.18

There are more places on the site where an explanatory text could be useful.

BTW: what I miss in example above is what to do if players do not agree on what groups should be considered captured.

1 Like

In itself counting time is one if the most obscure for a newcomer to the game, and hard to explain without a wall of text but for me OGS does a ok job here.

Answering your question, game may just resume but who play first, this I am not sure it’s clear for everyone (btw rules IRL vary on this)

1 Like

So while we have a good thread for it nearing ~100 posts, can we start to collect some suggestions to improve OGS and make a list of the ideas agreed on. Would such a list be better at the top/first post of a new thread? Probably not as useful or visible 100 posts in?

Then maybe we can put those suggestions into the Github issues as say feature requests or something like that?

I’d like to keep directing people and their ideas to say this thread and also to Github.

3 Likes

I’ve said it in a few other threads, but I think OGS can become a lot more intuitive by having more features visible on the currently mostly empty homepage. Even half translated asian servers are easy to navigate because of this. They may be ugly visually, but all the important features are impossible to miss. I don’t think OGS is improving on them by having new users go on link hunts for everything.

Add the quick match buttons, current top game(s), open tournaments, and maybe even latest forum posts (would help direct new players here to get further help if they need it).

1 Like

However the thread ends up working, it might be good to have some sort of poll attached to each proposal, just in case there’s some sort of vocal minority/silent majority type thing going on. Also easy to see what consensus is at a glance.

We could use the hearts, but then no way to express disagreement without making a comment.

1 Like