How long to move from 23k to 16k to 10k etc

I’ve see accounts with thousands of ranked games that are still 20k

2 Likes

there are very few such accounts

no one is below 13k if they played 5000 games

4 Likes

Thank you. Some good insights here. I’m not after being 1 Dan, maybe single digit k will be fine.

No definitive answer (as expected) but

A couple of useful as averages that stood out were:
108 days to move up a rank
No one who played 5000 games was less than 13k.

I played go a lot 20 years ago and went to a club once a week for a couple of years, read a couple of books. Online go was only in it’s infancy then, very niche experience and not much software. Looking back I don’t think I made much progress beyond 24k.

I’m trying to play 3-4 online games a day and a bit of tsumigo. May seek out the Durham Go Club in the UK.

I’m 62 now so not going to be meeting Lee Sodel across the board at anytime soon :wink:

7 Likes

You re optimistic, i think it’s much less 1/500 maybe? A way to estimate is that those players usually go higher (like over 4d) so see how they are statistically rare.

Imho the more you climb the longer it takes, including possible steps where you’ll stop moving up for a while. So that average is useless

That’s great, I’m quite convinced that we don’t forget that much (a bit like after having learned some basic maths, it stays)

I hope you find a club you can visit, that’s where the big fun is.

If you’re not too ambitious on the competitive side you still have plenty of time to enjoy go!

3 Likes

Perhaps @BHydden is remembering accounts before the 2021 update. I believe 25k hell was a bit more populated then :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Sounds a plausible statement.

So I guess we should update that to

“Lose your first 5000 games quickly”

7 Likes

Quite possible :+1: